Just saw this.....

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
In the case of the river Pool it will be a paradise, a muggers paradise that is. This and the Ravensbourne are small inner city streams that run through Lewisham and Catford, mugging capital of SE London.

It would be fishing Jim, but not as we know it. I had one of our colonial cousins try to relieve me of some of my hard earned about a month ago, not half a mile away from here. Fortunately for him Lewisham University Hospital is only a short trip away by ambulance.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I hope you struck the bounder a resounding blow Ray, damned impertinence :D

It must be terrible living with that going on around you. Round here its more likely to be a squirrel attack although there was some news a couple of weeks ago that a walkers dog was threatened by a wild boar, but I rang the paper and told them Ron was still in Rotherham as far as I knew :j

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
The goal is to eventually bring naturally sustainable numbers of fish back to London.

Hahahaha yeah right............How big is 'the' London?
Or is it "we don't intend to stock any more fish!"?

750 fish! What's the pike fishing like there? Cormorants? The pot?

Good on the E.A another fine example of........................................

Pathetic! But their hearts in the right place.....

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It doesn't say how big the fish are, and it's better than nothing at all.

If they were all specimen sized fish, that would be even better.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
It doesn't say how big the fish are, and it's better than nothing at all.

If they were all specimen sized fish, that would be even better.

You can't fish either. The Pool is a very short river and was polluted a while back, the Ravensborne is also short and some parts are like a concrete sided ditch. They do have the black death, there was a shooting last night and I think one scum bag shot another scum bag, I went past the crime scene when I was working last night and the forensic people were doing their stuff.

This seems to be a win win situation. All we need is the death rate to catch up with the birth rate and we will be in a negative scum bag scenario.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
and just to keep things balanced....

Received the following in an e-mail from Fred French M.B.E.
(Yes he's back for all who have missed his daily dozen...e-mails) Aplogies if seen elsewhere.

Olympic Otters Will Become Mascots For 2012 Games
November 30, 2009

LOVEABLE otters are being backed to become unofficial Olympic Games mascots as the host borough campaigns to bring them back to the East End by 2012.
Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales - recently listed as one of the most influential figures in London - is urging the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) to redouble efforts in creating the necessary environment needed to attract the endangered animals back to the area so that they can be enjoyed by tourists and residents alike.

The ODA this year mentioned otters in the Olympic Park Biodiversity Action Plan as a priority species to promote. Plans are to pepper the waterways and Olympic Park with ramps, road tunnels and a cosy holt so that otters are encouraged to migrate there.

But the Mayor wants to ensure a decent habitat is in place and allowed to establish itself within the Olympic zone, which is being promoted by the borough for Royal status after being named Elizabeth Park.

Sir Robin, who spoke this morning on Radio 4's The Today programme, said: "As much as the games are about sport, the legacy is the ultimate prize. A Royal park for East London will bring prestige and symbolise the resurgence of the East End. The homecoming of the otter will do the same for the species. It is an ideal mascot for the Olympics in this sense.

"But we are less than three years away and the likelihood is if something substantial isn't done now, there may be none to see. I understand much of the park is a building site and not yet appropriate for wildlife but the preparation of a habitat within the fantastic waterways is essential."

Following a massive clean-up of the Thames and its tributaries, the otter population has increased to a point where reintroducing the species has become a reality. Just five years ago there were thought to be just 13 in the southeast.

Newham Council is helping deliver a cleaner and greener environment and is a partner in the Greenway Project - a London Wildlife Trust (LWT) backed scheme which maintains and improves a traffic-free route through the Olympic zone and beyond. Work has been done with the ODA and LWT in ensuring species are protected in the run-up to the games - from bats and newts to cockney sparrows and water voles.

Sir Robin added: "We would very much like to see the otter become a familiar face at the same time we are on the world stage Visitors will be able to cherish these quirky little animals and they will hopefully become permanent residents here as part of the legacy."

Girish Rambaran, Olympics officer at the London Wildlife Trust, said: "Otters have been found along the River Lea just north of the Olympic Park. There is potential for them to migrate south but you can't simply pick them up and place them somewhere else - they must be given the necessary habitat that will encourage them to visit through the waterways. Even once the ODA have completed their habitat creation in the Olympic Park, otter visits will not happen overnight. The habitat must be given time to establish itself."

Paul Dennis
Deputy Editor
Angler’s Mail

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 ----------

Round here its more likely to be a squirrel attack although there was some news a couple of weeks ago that a walkers dog was threatened by a wild boar, but I rang the paper and told them Ron was still in Rotherham as far as I knew :j

That is sooo unfair, no way is Ron wild. :wh

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I was surprised at the stocking of Crucian, there doesn't appear to be too many 'true' crucians around, are they likely to breed and how many goldfish are in the dock basins anyway?
As Steve S says, at least it's a start although I have no idea what the volume of water is in the docks area, fishing for them (should any survive) will be the proverbial needle in a haystack.
New angling challenges-The Docklands Crucian Quest, bring on Matt hayes and Mr Brown.

ginty

Reaction score
Ive just had a look at the river quaggy and this is what i saw
b9e8b20a54259c3f459ceb98fde1eb37.jpg

ginty

Reaction score
We know it as quaggy but its actually the ravensbourne.