New Drennan Reels.

Matthew White

Reaction score
Saw the new Drennan Reels in this weeks AT and was wondering if anyone has one yet or seen them in the tackle shops.
From the photos they look like a quality bit of kit, typical Drennan.

Think I will put one on my Xmas list for Santa!

Matt

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Think I will put one on my Xmas list for Santa!

Matthew,

If you still believe in Santa then I suppose you would also believe anything you read in the AT.

[insert huge great smiling thing >>>>> HERE - otherwise He (who is to blame in all things) will get the hump with me, again]

Now, joking aside . . . . . . .

If I were you I would try to get hold of one of these and fit it to the rod you intend to use it with, then, and only then, if you are still happy with it, then sure, add it to your lost.

I would also compare it with other reels of similar size and price, but also coupled with the same rod.

oh, b.t.w. Merry Christmas, ho ho ho . . . . . . .

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I like the knot concealing thing on these,no more bumps and sellotape,also the push button spool release with the breaking strain of line,2 spare spools,all for under £35....
My only concern is, with tackle prices up around 30% in the last year,(possibly originally intended to be £25 at the drawing board stage) this reel may not be as good as it looks,and how long will it last?
I think I would rather pay £35 for a good second hand shimano aero match3.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone got a link to them ? I havn't heard about them.

It's ok chaps I've just clocked em on the bay.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have to confess; I'm a bit of a tackle tart. But to be honest tackle has come on leaps and bounds from what was available in my youth. I think tackle does vary in quality, but you have to go out of your way to buy cr*p tackle these days. with a few exceptions most budget gear is better than anything available twenty years ago.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
To me a reel selling at around £32 has been made down to a price rather than up to a quality. I'm sure the design/proportions are good but will it stand up to heavy use for several seasons?

Ron mentioned his Shimano Stradics being over 12 years old, and some of the ones I use date from about 1997. I've had to oil the bail arm pivots for the first time recently but that's the first maintenance that they've had, but then the cost new was £115. The newest Mitchell Match I have is 25 years old and they're all as good as new because I know how to look after them. Will a Drennan reel last that long? Or are they use for a couple of years then throw away?

dezza

Reaction score
With reels particularly, you get exactly what you pay for. I have 4 FS reels that I purchased in 1994 and 1995. They are all top line Shimanos and I wouldn't part with them for the £60 or so I paid each for them at the time. They are all GTM 4010s and I know that Tony Miles is still using his.

If you are on a budget, rather than buy cheapies, you would be better off getting a top class reel second hand. I own quite a few second hand tackle items and there is nothing wrong with them.

Paul B

Reaction score
You're lucky there then Ron, the drag on both my GTM 3010's packed up a few years ago and i can't them fixed through shimano as they can't get the bits. Gutted.
Front drag reels, the way to go!;)

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
played with them in the tackle shop today, spare spools included in price, seemed well constructed and of robust design, but will they last ?, everything else peter drennan sells seems o.k., so why not ?.

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
Drennan reels

Got both the 9-30 and the 9-40 reels, they look good with interesting ideas behind their development.
The 9 in their title comes from the fact that they have 9 ball bearings within their construction making the reel very smooth in operation. Add to this is the fact that there is absolutely no back play in the handle and you get the impression the reel has been well made and up to the usual Drennan standard.
Each model comes with 3 spools, one metal and the other two are of composite constuction. Depending on the model of reel, each spool is labled for the ideal line to use, the intention is that there will be approximately 100 yards of line in use. The three spools are each a different line capacity. Then the two reels have different spools to suit their normal use. The 9-30 is a float reel and the 9-40 is a feeder reel with a correspondingly heavier range of lines.
A novel, but useful addition is that in the centre of the push button that allows the spool to be removed is a removable labled tab. Within the box when purchased is a number of these tabs with different line strengths on them. When the line has been loaded you can put the appropriate tab in place and never be in doubt as to which spool holds which line. If the line strength is changed, just change the tab.
Only time will tell if this is long term reel or one for the occasional angler but at just over £30 they look good value.

A

alan whittington

It will be interesting to see if they are of the general high standard of the 'Drennan' stable Phil,i would think its more than likely to last longer than a couple of years and it could possibly be a loss leader as Peter Drennan is a shrewd businessman and quality angler,with many years experience to his credit.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Time will tell if the reels ar ay good, look a bit like shimano, and i have had bad shimano's and their repair and after sales are as bad as it gets, total ****.

The problem we have as aglers is the amount of tackle we have on the market, much of it cheap rubbish.

A

alan whittington

I know you use mitchells Ray but i have yet to have any problem with any of my shimanos of which i have seven,whilst when i used mitchells i have had many,including once having four well maintained reels(2 440's and 2 300's)all give out in one match(which i came second in with 30lb of chub in spite of it as i had no more reels),i havnt had even a spring go(firmly touching wood)with my shimanos.