What Keepnet for Chub?

GertR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been Chub fishing for the last couple of years and still luvin it.

Until now I have always fished without a keepnet and returned the fish straight away (the best way admitedly). However now I want to start using a keepnet so I can marvel at my day's catch.

I have been looking at a couple of keepnets on flebay. One an 8ft Drennan, the other a 6'6ft Geologic. I mostly fish smaller rivers, catching 2-4lb Chub, so would want to have the smallest and lightest keepnet possible that will not harm the fish.

Your suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I don't think there are any really bad keepnets on the market nowadays........

Readarding the two you've been looking at, you sort of answered your own question - if you want a short one, go for the shortest?

If it were me, I'd go for the largest you can find - over time that will be the most versitile. Remember, in tight swims a 10ft keepnet can easily be made into a 5ft one........ Twist between sections and secure the remainder with cheap 'throw-away' cable ties.......

Dave Slater

Reaction score
If you are fishing small rivers presumably you are fishing several different swims in a session. If this is the case a keepnet would definately be a bad idea as you would be constantly taking the net out and moving it, which would not do the fish much good. Also if you are fishing regularly it could well put the fish off for quite a while.
Personally I thnink you would be best doing what you are doing now. You are obviously having a fair amount of success and enjoying yourself, which is the main thing. Using a net could well spoil your fishing in the long run on smaller rivers. If you are catching lots of fish the same size then the capture of the bigger fish would surely be the most exciting part. I would suggest always taking a camera with you. If there is nobody else around, which is often the case on small rivers, you should get a good comparison shot by putting the rod and reel next to the fish. No harm would be done by retaining a large chub in a sack while you set the camera up or if you want to retain it for a while in case you get another biggie from that swim and would like a "brace" shot. As your success rate improves the size of fish you photograph will probably increase as there is little point on photographing every fish you catch.
One tip I would give is that if you are catching several fish from the same swim try and put them back away from the swim. If you are moving around this should not ne necessary.
Please give it some thought before going down the keepnet route as it may be counter productive for your fishing.

Last edited: