Go Fishing

P

Paul Tubb

I read in the fishing column of last week's Salisbury Journal that Meridian were showing a new series of Go Fishing on Monday 24th. Was there anything in the listings? Was there heck! can someone tell me whether there is a new series and if so when?

Thanks

Paul

C

Chris Bishop

JW is currently filming a new series which is due to be screened later this year.

A

Andrew Webber

Salisbury Journal? Where are you from then Paul? I'm from Salisbury.

R

Richard Drayson

Chris, that's good news. I always enjoy watching his programmes.

Andrew, I see that we're fairly local then!
I'm down the road just outside Romsey.

A

Andrew Webber

Yeah Rich, I see you're fishing the avon just downstream of me, I fish it at britford. Is stretch at bremour day ticket or club controlled?

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Andrew,
The stretch that I fish is syndicate controlled and runs from Charford down to Breamore. Nice bit of water but I'm finding it difficult at the mo.
What about your water? I've heard it's supposed to be full of big roach!

A

Andrew Webber

Whats the name of the syndicate? I remember nearly joining one last year when a ticket became available. Probably the stretch you're on Rich.

My bit of the avon does have big roach! More productive in the winter though, like most rivers. Especially good in the floods as the fish move into the side streams. I'd given up piking one day and had a walk around and I watch a guy have 5 2lbers! in about an hour! He had 9 in total that day!

I'm planning on getting the old bread mash out a few times this winter!

R

Richard Drayson

Fellas,

"Go Fishing" is being shown on Meridian TV.
The series starts tonight (Mon)at 11.30.

Tonights show features double-figure bream from a Suffolk lake and shark fishing off Selsey Bill, Sussex.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I am also a Hale Park syndicate member.
Fished the first few days of the new season, but very quiet with just a few Chub up to 5lbs.

My home is just outsddie of Salisbury in the Woodfords. Maybe we'll meet on the bank on day.

K

Kevan Farmer

What about us poor buggers in the Midlands? The last series of Go Fishing was screened about 10 years ago. It does not look likely to ever come back either :-(((((((((

Kevan - in fishing tv starved Staffordshire. Don't mention cable or satellite the wife will not have one of those "horrible, ugly dishes on the house".

R

Rodney Wrestt

Kevan,
you could win the argument with cable as there is no dish, it's a set top box which is wired in from the nearest junction box, and you can get internet access from them as well.

K

Kevan Farmer

Rodney. Unfortunately the nearest cable to us is in Wolverhampton. We are classed as being a low uptake area and will probably not see cable for about another 10 years. :-(((((((((

Oh how I love all this new technology. Everything is being geared towards it but there are still many pockets of communities who are unable to take it up.

I think that what I will do is to build myself a new shed. Picture this though, a luxury, properly lined wram in the winter cool in the summer shed. I shall fit it out with a brand new PC - must get around to building a new one - and a nice large, motorised satellite dish. She'll probably moan about that too ;-)

Thanks anyway Rodney.

Kevan

A

Andrew Webber

Rich and Peter, is Hale Park the stretch featured in a passion for angling?

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Andrew,

Some of the shots in the video look familiar, like the scene when Chris and Bob go after barbel one evening, meet up on a bridge later and then go for a pint at the "Horse & Groom" which is just down the road from the Hale stretch. (Nice pub by the way).
From reading the book though, it seems that most of the Avon filming took place above Downton at places like Barford Island, Standlynch Mill and further upstream on the Longford Estate, just south of Salisbury.

There was also a very scenic shot taken from Castle Hill of the two anglers walking downstream from Breamore bridge but I don't know if they actually fished there.

G

Gerry Castles

A bit of a long shot really but here goes. I have always wanted to send a copy of A Passion for Angling to a pal in the US but whilst my video will playback US standard tapes it won't record in that standard. Any one have any ideas about I (or anybody else) can make a copy that will play on a US machine. A professional recording studio wanted to charge nearly 60 quid to do the job.

R

Richard Drayson

Gerry,
I'm not sure how to do this myself but I'm sure you can copy video onto a CD or DVD.
I'm assuming your friend in the US has a PC.

G

Gerry Castles

I've been told that Richard and instead of using a PC you can use a DVD player linked to a TV but I don't know how. Tried to find an internet link that might give me some instructions.

C

Craig Smith

Gerry,
You need a TV board to watch the TV on your pc they are about ?20-?30 at computer fairs.
The last time we had a series of Go-Fishing in the Granada area was about the same as you Kevan. :(((((

A

Andrew Webber

Your best bet is to search on newsgroups. Search for news groups with video in the title, you'll get a lot of back i expect, try putting the question up on a few a see what you get back