Shimano 4000D from the USA

johnnyfby

Reaction score
After looking at these reels lots of times and needing a couple of smaller reels for small to medium barbel rivers, i have only gone and purchased one from the USA on ebay. The reason you may ask is why, well for one, they cost £85 in the states, not £145 as here. Postage was £26 though and for a grand total of £111, i think they are a bargain. I also asked the seller to put gift on the parcel, to avoid customs.
For all those who fancy one at this bargain price i will let you know how i get on in the near future, when it arrives. If this route is successful i may even get another.

johnny

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the update to this post too. I think this is the reel that was to replace the 3500B, which I bought last time I was in the States. I was told the 4000D was a lot lighter than the 3500B. I assumed that meant it would be made of plastic rather than metal but never having yet seen one I don't know.

preston96

Reaction score
can you buy maggots from the good ole US of A? :wh

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Not yet, Not worried as i have ordered loads from over the pond. Generally 3-4 weeks. However bought one from Climax last week, as i couldnt wait and always buy in 2's. In all this reel is built to last, it is meant for using in the surf so all bearings are corrosion resistant, with a waterproof drag, dont worry about the handle as the 4000D has a standard handle which is nonslip. I really cannot comment any more as i havent used it yet. The bail arm seems thin, but then again i have never damaged one only time will tell.
Fred that is a very good price and really competitive and for £9 more probably isnt worth the wait, however if your going over the pond, they will be in most US tackle shops. and they are massive.
will post when arrived

oh where from in peterbrough

Last edited:

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Update is that parcel foece have the reel and it will cost me £14 to get it from the depot as part of a customs charge, they are never far away are they. so in total it will have cost me £124.67p. which is a saving on some. cheapest i can get them for here is £130.
So i have saved myself about a fiver and some petrol money. It may be more profitable if you wish to but a more premium reel.

job done and mission accomplished

johnny

preston96

Reaction score
Update is that parcel foece have the reel and it will cost me £14 to get it from the depot as part of a customs charge, they are never far away are they. so in total it will have cost me £124.67p. which is a saving on some. cheapest i can get them for here is £130.
So i have saved myself about a fiver and some petrol money. It may be more profitable if you wish to but a more premium reel.

job done and mission accomplished

johnny

But how about the maggots.............when all the Brit shops have to close down????:wh

OK, on a serious note, i can't believe you would go to all this trouble to save such a pitance?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Update is that parcel foece have the reel and it will cost me £14 to get it from the depot as part of a customs charge, they are never far away are they.

johnny

Some of them are even closer than you might think !

As I've warned people on here before if you deliberately attempt to avoid customs charges [like getting "gift" put on the parcel] you run the risk of getting your bargain seized and a hefty fine. Its called smuggling.

If you get away with it good luck to you.We have much more important stuff to do.

For those seeking bargains abroad reckon on about 20-22% charges for duty plus VAT from outside the EU...plus a Post Office admin fee.

I'm sure you can do the sums.

Skippy

johnnyfby

Reaction score
But how about the maggots.............when all the Brit shops have to close down????:wh

OK, on a serious note, i can't believe you would go to all this trouble to save such a pitance?
You have me wrong, i am not a penny pinching miser, lots of my fishing mates have been looking at lots of things from the states, i and many more buy our braid and fluoro from the States and Japan, after looking at the prices £85 for the reel, and i needed 2, i thought i would give it a go. So have i had my fingers burnt? the answer is NO, Have i made a loss? i made a fiver and did it sat at home in the snow. I also saved on petrol and postage if i had to purchase in the UK.
For all those who like to use Power Pro, I get 500yd spools for £26 delivered. Plus lots more.

At least i had the gumption to carry it out...

preston96

Reaction score
You have me wrong, i am not a penny pinching miser, lots of my fishing mates have been looking at lots of things from the states, i and many more buy our braid and fluoro from the States and Japan, after looking at the prices £85 for the reel, and i needed 2, i thought i would give it a go. So have i had my fingers burnt? the answer is NO, Have i made a loss? i made a fiver and did it sat at home in the snow. I also saved on petrol and postage if i had to purchase in the UK.
For all those who like to use Power Pro, I get 500yd spools for £26 delivered. Plus lots more.

At least i had the gumption to carry it out...

I hope your gumption is still intact when the Brit shops shut down and there is no local bait. ;)

johnnyfby

Reaction score

I hope your gumption is still intact when the Brit shops shut down and there is no local bait. ;)

Paul if you want to pay top price for your gear go on, its a free market. If i want to do some researching for a good price i will. Some people have money to spare, i don't at the moment.
Also there is lots of gear i purchase off the net that i cannot purchase where i live. So in my view i am using my gumption to save a few quid and grab the odd bargain.
As i said in my first post Ref to the Reel, i was just trying see if this route was successful.

Thanks for your comments Paul, No wonder the site is so quiet.

johnny

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

At least Nobby grabbed a bargain.

preston96

Reaction score
Paul if you want to pay top price for your gear go on, its a free market. If i want to do some researching for a good price i will. Some people have money to spare, i don't at the moment.
Also there is lots of gear i purchase off the net that i cannot purchase where i live. So in my view i am using my gumption to save a few quid and grab the odd bargain.
As i said in my first post Ref to the Reel, i was just trying see if this route was successful.

Thanks for your comments Paul, No wonder the site is so quiet.

johnny

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

At least Nobby grabbed a bargain.

Seems to be the fashion to blame someones post for the site being quiet!!.......my opinion is that to save so little on the reels is detrimental to the British shops who would probably have got near to what you paid anyway?

Now you may or may not see that as knocking you....it's not meant to, it's meant as a constructive comment..............where will we get our maggots from etc if we don't use our shops??

johnnyfby

Reaction score
''i can't believe you would go to all this trouble to save such a pitance?'' Hows that constructive?. Like i said before i was only trying this route out as an experiment for myself, and wished to highlight this to anybody else who was going to go down this route.
As for tackle shops i use about 3 in my local area and always purchase from them before i go on the net. All iwanted to find out was, is it worth it? and the answer is YES if you want to save a few bob and NO because the small saving would be better worth investing in your local tackle shop.
I was only trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Anyway i think the reels are absolutely great and i am well chuffed i have a pair..

Paul i wasnt happy how you jumped on my thread as i was only posting information which others may have used. Now all interested parties can make their own judgement if its worth it. As they now have mine. Just a shame i am not holidaying tere next year.

johnny

preston96

Reaction score
''i can't believe you would go to all this trouble to save such a pitance?'' Hows that constructive?. Like i said before i was only trying this route out as an experiment for myself, and wished to highlight this to anybody else who was going to go down this route.
As for tackle shops i use about 3 in my local area and always purchase from them before i go on the net. All iwanted to find out was, is it worth it? and the answer is YES if you want to save a few bob and NO because the small saving would be better worth investing in your local tackle shop.
I was only trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Anyway i think the reels are absolutely great and i am well chuffed i have a pair..

Paul i wasnt happy how you jumped on my thread as i was only posting information which others may have used. Now all interested parties can make their own judgement if its worth it. As they now have mine. Just a shame i am not holidaying tere next year.

johnny

Fair nuff then Johnny, perhaps i did word it wrong and i take chastising.