Make your own garlic oil

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
  • 10 large dried cloves garlic, skinned and halved
  • 1 pint (570 ml) olive oil (preferably extra-virgin) or sunflower oil
Method:
  1. Put the garlic into a warm, sterilized jar.
  2. Heat the oil to around 180ºC/350ºF and then pour it over the garlic in the bottle/jar and cover tightly.
  3. Leave to stand in a sunny place for 1 to 2 weeks and then strain through 2 thicknesses of muslin.
  4. Pour into a sterilized bottle and seal with a sterilized cork or screw-top.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Garlic Oil

I am a great fan of garlic added to bait and groundbait, it works simple as that, the problem is it isn't always available in tackle shops and they do charge a premium for it. You can grow garlic in your garden it is simple and it is hardy and the oil bought at places like Liddl is very cheap and its only there as a carrier anyway.

Okay its a bit smelly but I am prepared to put up with that if it helps me catch fish and I believe it does, better than most additives summer or winter. Pellets both feed and hookers benefit from a soaking/coating in garlic oil as does luncheon meat, sweetcorn, paste and especially cheese but never attempt to put it on maggots it will make them float.

Garlic powder/granules/salt is good as a dry additive especially for maggots but I haven't got a DIY recipe for that it has to be bought from the supermarket and it is a bit pricey because of the quantity needed. I keep meaning to try putting crushed cloves in things like maggots to see if they take on the flavours overnight but the road is paved with good intentions isn't it. I would imagine cubed up meat in a plastic bag with crushed cloves and placed in the fridge might work as well, more good intentions but I don't use meat very often so I forget.

noknot

Reaction score
Nice post Graham!

I too beleive that garlic is an awsome attractor, but I must say I do not make my own oil, I buy mine which is garlic falvored sesamie seed oil, I mix with any particle baits and use as a glug for boilie hook baits and added to the base mix, and yes it does make you stink, but catches!;)

Last edited:

Xplorer1

Reaction score
I make garlic oil exactly that way. Then I mix it with walnut oil, freshl squeezed lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, raspberry vinegar (mulberry will do as an alternative) and a dash of worcester sauce, and put it on my rocket, lamb's lettuce and parmesan salad. Scrumptious.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Good post Graham, but i think i would struggle with the method in making it ,leave to stand in a sunny place for 1 to 2 weeks thats me done for

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
This is a link to the simple way of growing your own garlic, it really is very simple and requires about 10 minutes of your time, do it once and you will keep doing it and remember, garlic is one of the most healthgiving plants we can eat as well as being a top additive for our baits.

Chillies can be grown but it requires either a greenhouse or a windowsill in the kitchen the latter being best because wifey can pick one when she needs it as can you for your fishing. This is a cheap and easy way to grow chillies.

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Interesting post,Graham, from the culinary aspect as well as the piscatorial.
You've got me wondering if it would be worth making a glycerine version for winter? Has anyone out there tried?

will spencer

Reaction score
you shouldn't need a glycerol based version because the olive oil doesn't solidify as quick as the fish oils.however if in doubt try substituting the olive oil for one of the nut oils

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Being miscible with water, glycerol will extract a different suite of substances - or the same ones in different proportions. It may be so fierce that the fish all crawl out on the far bank waving white flags, so mild they never notice, or the greatest thing since casters ...

will spencer

Reaction score
spring/summer oils;
salmon
pilchard
mackerel
dogfish-liver
cod-liver
sardine
halibut
tuna
blended fish
herring
puffer fish

autumn/winter oils;
rapeseed
sunflower
hemp
sesame
soya
olive
safflower
edible linseed
walnut
hazlenut
almond

vegetable oils are ideal for adding flavours as they don't mask the smell of your attractors.they also contain a range of lipids
that fish find useful in their diets.these are linolenic acid and linoleic acid.a lot of vegetable oils are rich sources of vitamins essential for a fishes health.

Reaction score
Great post Graham, I use a lot of garlic in my fishing.

And very interesting reply Will... thanks.

Any chance you fancy explaining your thoughts on oils as both carrier and scent in an article for FM? I think it'd be very well received. :)