Foul hooked carp

J

John Hawkins

Recently floatfishing using bread paste every second carp I caught was foul hooked. After tender loving care and treatment with CarpDoctor they were all returned. However the only reason I can think of was that they were responding in an aggressive, Method feeder type way to the hookbait and in the "feeding frenzy" that ensued became hooked? Anyone else care to comment or enlighten me? I was fishing over a bed of hemp and corn with no other free offerings except the hookbait on a barbless size 14 hook.

R

RobD

You must be using the Bread Roll Rig (LOL)

Sorry Clive I couldn't resist, I am only kiddin so don't send the boys round!

;-)

C

Carp Angler

How strange, whilst reading the replies to the bread roll rig, I thought that the only time that I've foul hooked carp is when float fishing for them.

This has happened a couple of times to me when fishing next to reeds and in relatively shallow water.
I think what happens is that the fish picks up the line that drops down from the float and it catches on a protruding fin.

I'll also suggest that it only happens on 'well stocked' venues.

Not sure if there's anyway around it other than either fishing on the top or by nailing the line to the bottom.

R

RobD

Woops thought you was floater fishing!

I think carp angler is very near the mark, is this a very well stocked lake or perhaps an overstocked bagging up lake?

It sounds like your striking at line bites in which case the best thing is as carp angler suggest... get your rig and line nailed to the bottom, ledgering and either using back leads or slack line should sort it.

Every second fish is a very high rate of foul hooking even fot that type if water though.