Bream Avoidance

D

David Will

Much as I enjoy the odd Bream session there are times when they become a pest.I am fishing a pit with hundreds , nay thousands of Bream between 4 and 7lb.I am after a very few Carp. Does anyone have any practical experience of Bream avoidance to share.I have been down the Tigers or double 20mm boilie route.Thanks in anticipation.

J

John Pleasance

I think Barney should answer this,I've heard he manages to avoid them without any trouble.LOL

Andy Young

Reaction score
I was stalking a Common that would have just gone 20, only for a Bream of about 5lb to schnaffle my luncheon meat cube approx 20x20x20mm!

24mm boilies?

P

Paul Williams

I don't think there is any simple way to target the carp other than to find where they prefer to be and consentrate on that area, especially in areas of dense weed with "holes" cleared by them.......but i never thought you would turn to the dark side Dave! ;)

W

Wag

I'd have to agree with Paul here, unfortunately bream are attracted to exactly the same types of bait as carp, and a large bream has a gob just as big! They also have excellent pharyngeal teeth which can cope with swan mussels and snails so your boilies are not going to be a problem for them.One suggestion might be to come bream fishing with me, 'cos whenever I target the buggers I can never catch 'em.

C

carpin chris

I fish a lake thats full of bream and tench and when fishing 20 mm boilies you still get them. A way of slowing them down is by using a popped up tiger nut, but you still get the odd one

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

The Force is strong Paul, Dave is now known as Darth Will!

W

Wag

I too am tempted by the dark side. I might change my name to Fluke Carpstalker.

My wife's reading this over my shoulder, she suggests Lucky Craptalker , lovely!!!

R

Rob Brownfield

I've done well on popped up baits. One Catch 22 in Norfolk I was hitting so many bream I was crying..until I started popping up baits. having said that..the pop ups did not work for the carp either..hehe

Andy Young

Reaction score
I've just returned from the same swim as I mentioned before, which is a typical carp swim with next to no water surface, just lillies.

Anyway the swim produced a 14 and a very scant 20(19lb14oz), which I photographed for the bloke, and he had bream hassle all night. The approach he went for was a slightly longer hair so they couldn't get the hook as well as the boilie (24mm)* and then just waited for a longer series of beeps!

* He was fishing bottom baits, not popped up, as Rob B. said, that may have made the difference.

G

Gary Knowles

Thanks John.....

Thats the kind of confidence booster I need at the moment !

R

RobD

I don't know if its true but apparently Bram don't like salt..... so stick some in your boile mix if your using em.

Also it seems carp like salt in bait!

Worth a try I'd say.
C'ya, Robin.

D

David Will

Thanx for all the offers of assistance I shall be giving various ones a go and report back.The salt thing Robin is interesting. In Jim Gibbinsons book , Carp Sense he quotes a professor of err ...fish ? who believed Carp could not detect salt.Whether this is true I do not know but I sometimes cook particles in water & salt instead of water and sweetner and have caught lots of Bream and Tench and the odd rogue Carp over the particles.

R

RobD

Oll well...... there goes that idea then it looks like the bream luv it :)