Eaten Alive!!!!!!!!

C

Chris Tonner

Hello,

Just got back into the sport, was fishing last night, but had to pack it up due to the immense amounts of midges attacking me. Although quite used to this, last night was mad!!! The only tip I have is to use "citronella", which i did last night, but to no avail. Any help, potion advice would be gratefully received. Cheers.

C

Chris Bishop

I use that yellow aerosol stuff from Boots this time of year. V effective.

D

David Will

One option is smoking heavily ! but as a non smoker now I like the Everlite Lamps.Be careful though as they rely on a naked flame and do not snuff out automatically as advertised when knocked over.

M

Malcolm Smith

Chris,
are we talking about early morning midges or evening midges as there are a different specis, so there are different ways of dealing with them.
Morning: Just wash hands and face with soap do not shower or put smelley's on.
Hot tea or coffee steam also keeps them at bay.
Evening:
If coffee / tea all gone, then rub your smelly fishy hands over face and arms this works. Thens theirs the really radical, go for a swim.
Good luck !!!.

G

Gerry Castles

I'm told a 50/50 mixture of Swarfega and Marmite rubbed lightly into the skin keeps mosquitos away..hang on I think thats' bears

J

John Toohey

We have just come back from Turkey and brought a good supply of something called kov and also one called off and they both work.

I read somewhere the other day about a body lotion or moisturiser from a well known manufacturer that has been found to keep mossies away and its that good that the army are using it.

I will try to find the article again.

John.

J

John Pleasance

I think your best bet will be to identify the "in season" females and trap them in a jar.

Then put the jar about 100 yds from where you are fishing and all the others will be off to try and get into the jar for some nookey.

I'm told lavender oil works well too.

F

Fred Bonney

John,Please explain, identify"in season" females ,is it anything to do with gnats kna**ers ?? and is that where you rub the lavender oil?

B

Barry Kneller

Try one of those shops that sell army surplus gear - I've had some British army stuff for years and it really duz da biz - you only need to use a tiny amount & it doesn't put the fish off. If you smell the bottle it's got a very slight smell of garlic but you can't smell it when it's on your skin. Really works well for me & only cost peanuts when I bought it.

B

Barry Kneller

Gerry
The Swarfiga & marmite is for washing your toast soldiers if you drop 'em in engine oil.

J

John Pleasance

Always try and remember to keep a qualified entomologist in your rucksack Fred,you should ensure that they have their own microscope though,we have enough kit to buy as it is.

C

Chris Bishop

I reckon it's getting worse as well. Something bit me last summer and I had a great big swelling on the side of my face for several months.

I read somewhere the other week that they reckon malaria could return to Britain within the next 50 years due to climate change.

M

Mark St Jefferson

Chris

What do you mean could?

It's basically already here, it's just not being mentioned a whole lot.

My wife works alongside the NHS and sees what people are being taken into hospital with. Malaria cases are well on the increase, and it isn't just those returning from holidays. Airport Malaria being one of the highest instances, which is normaly caused by foreign Mossies coming in on the aircraft.... (more ileagal imigrants!)

After all it only takes a Brit Mossie to bite someone with it and you have a Malaria carrying Brit mossie. Also these 'imigrants' are not dying at the airports and the diference between them is not that great to prevent cross breeding.

M

Mark St Jefferson

Keeping Mossies at bay can be done a few ways.

You can always go shoot a bear, then cover yourself in its fat, that is supposed to be the best anti Mossie covering, but it can atract other bears... so watch out for that.

On a slightly more serious note, a lot of it depends on what you eat/excrete in sweat. Bacon eggs, and other fatty foods make your sweat sweeter ,and more tasty... (proof that Mossies prefer bacon butties). Whereas strong garlic, onions etc., tend to put them off. (would you want to bite someone that stinks of Garlic) Indian food still atracts them though due to the Ghea.

Also smelly food diet/excretions are good at keeping other unwanted visitors at bay, like other members of the public.

W

Willie McKinnon

What you might try is an Avon product called hands so soft.
Willie

B

Barry Kneller

Lucky you didn't get your 'hands' mixed up with your 'willie'!

A

anthony mcgee

Hi, Chris i thought you may be interested in a potion my wife makes up at home ,she suffers really badly from mozzies .to start with we eat a good meal laced with lots of garlic before going on a session , we go for two or three days so eat it just before we leave home . If like my two sons you dont like garlic try taking garlic pearls , to get some garlic into the blood. The recipe is three tablespoons of olive oil ,three cloves of garlic,put the garlic in a food blender and mix it until it is like a paste, mix with the olive oil in a small tub .We spread this on our exposed skin , on our hats,coat sleeve cuffs and neck,During our three day sessions we dont suffer at all , I know its a bit messy and smelly ay first but it works and is so cheap, take the mix with you and if you start to get bitten aply a bit more,we also take some raw garlic cloves to chew on they are good for oral hygene,tooth ache,indegestion, and all sorts.One last thing ,If you suffer from a skin complaint like eczema it may cause a flare up so try just a little to test it first , hope it helps, Tony.

C

Chris Bishop

In the Fens years ago - when a lot of the land was still peat bog - a lot of the old boys still earned their living punt gunning ducks, reed cutting, peat digging or eel netting, depending on the season.

A lot of them suffered from ague, which is a kind of East Anglian malaria. Poppy tea was said to ward it off, trouble was it also gave you hallucinations; hence all the stories about Black Shuck, the giant dog of the Fens etc etc.

C

Colyn Nelson

have a look in tesco's chemist department
got loads of anti midge and mossie stuff there try jungle formula i find it works for me give them a go see what is best for U