Bait boats

Max

Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anybody used a bait boat on a river, i am thinking of using one so that i can place my baits and prebait tight to some features on the far bank but am worried that the bait boats will not work on flowing water. i.e powerfull enough to go against a moderate current, the boat will be going about 15 meters across the river and into some slack water. any help or suggestions of a bait boat that will do the task would be appreciated.
Thankyou in advance.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
I'd rather swim across then risk losing a boat :eek:

thats a bit daft, risk life or risk a couple of hundred quid of bait boat?

no experience of bait boats on a river, so cant offer advice on which model to try, but as spiders said, keep it on a string if you try it.

or mod it!!! MORE POWER, (insert gorilla like grunts as per home improvement)

A

alan whittington

Hope i never see one,i'd rather learn to cast(ho-ho):D,see enough life size boats without miniatures.:rolleyes:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A pal of mine uses one for placing livebaits when fishing the lower Ebro in Spain. So why not?

Max

Reaction score
I don't want to waste a good few hundred pounds just for it drift down the river, and i don't want to snag into the trees/bushes as i then have to get a big canoe and untangle all my rigs from the bush, totally *******sing my swim up.
Before any one says to clip my line up, i am casting into very small openings between trees and if i'm out by inches then, it's tree, i know it sounds stupid but the carp live under the tree in a big slack, they only patrol the slack waters and don't seem to want come into the main flow to feed.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Max, I presume you're unable to fish the opposite bank? If so then drifting your baits down on something bouyant and tightening up when over 'the spot'.
Unless the river has very little current I'd doubt that a boat would cope, but never having used one of the things I wouldn't know their capabilities.
Could you not attempt to entice them out with some prebaiting?

Max

Reaction score
the only other way i thought was to buy a long pole, i saw it on a fishing programme on sky. it's not a fact that ican't cast in the sport but it's when i miss or it's dark at night, i don't want to risk snagging up on my line and then having to go and retrive everything and spooking everything, it's just one of those awkward swims that has rewards if you know what i mean. I had success from it this season but i just wanted to try and neaten things up a bit.
The flow of the river out of the slack water is quite powerful and if you don't cast into the slack water under / into the tree then your lead is washed down pretty quick.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

max-albums-river-fish-picture1704-fishing-magic3-1.jpg

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
How deep is it Max?

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

Chest waders, and drop it in under the rod tip?

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
A well educated/trained member of the Anatidae family can work wonders in those hard to reach spots.

Max

Reaction score
I'm looking at about 6-7 foot in the middle but under the tree it slopes from 5ft to 3 foot at the far bank. Things worked pretty well as far as feeding and catching went this season, just wanted to see if there was an easier way than throwing bait across the river. I want to concentrate my hookbait and offerings a bit tighter and also wanted to make sure that my hookbait was with the other offerings rather than in a big bed of bait spread over a large area.
I watched the activity of the fish feeding and they seemed to be mopping up everything but the bait was spread over a large area and it was taking a while for them to get to my hookbait, I think i could catch a few more if i could reduce the area to half the size.
Its also a case of bait in and sit and wait, i can't keep casting as this spooks the fish.
If a boat won't work on a river then i'll just have to keep to the traditional way.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Kev Green used a 16 metre Pole to place his carp baits when he went Canal Carp Fishing wth Martin Bowler, he could put his freebies and his hook bait right up against the Barge he was fishing to.

Worth a thought, if you have a spare pole.