Spooling line...what knot

slime monster

Reaction score
Today I have been changing line on reels centrepin and fixed spool ,it occured to me that I have never been fussy how I tie the line to the spool other than leaving a long tail on the knot.
Have you guys a particular knot for the job...

Morespiders

Reaction score
Iwouldnt worry Mr giddy, you wont be catching out that would take more than ten yards of line.

PS If you ever do, remember, its an arbor knot, and top matchmen like myself and JK use it all the time.
:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use a grinner knot, pull it as tight as poss and snip off the tag end (just do 4 turns to keep the knot smalli'sh). I push the knot over to the side of the spool before winding on my line.

maver man

Reaction score
I will be using for my Aero 5000 Shimmy's (6-8lb mono) and new Daiwa Emcast Advanced 6000 (10-12-15lb mono)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
On a fixed spool I use a grinner but have two turns around the spool to help stop it slipping - quite important when spooling with braid! I also trim it right back so there is no tag end showing.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
I tie a simple figure eight loop knot and then lasso the line on the spool in the correct direction of course. Then fill the spool tothe top.