Centrepins – Is it all Spin?

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the early days of my fishing my main reel was always a centre pin, although I started with an Intrepid Monarch.
The reel was a Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme, I used it for all my float fishing, river and stillwater.
I then fell into the trap of fishing with a fixed spool for many years, fishing off the clutch.
Last season I dug out two centre pins that were gifted to me 8 years ago and last year, having ebayed my my Grice & Young about 8 years ago.

So, I have been using my JW Young Heritage for trotting, and my latest gift the Purist ll for inside line freelining, and light ledgering.

The feel of the fish fighting much improved my joy of fishing, letting my thumb and fingers do the controlling rather that the reel.

I've now bought myself a Ray Walton Rolling Pin, anybody want some Shimano's?

All I'm asking myself now is, will it feel even better with a cane?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Fred,

Sorry, no prizes for guessing what my answer might be to that question . . . . . .

Dave,

A lovely article, and one that made me feel quite jealous; especially as you have a Bisterne Aerial . . . .

Personally, I can hardly wait for your bamboo article, roll-on 2010!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
A timely and very useful article as I'm on the hunt for a barbel pin. The check on my Swallow just isn't up to barbel fishing and having learnt to Wallis cast (thank you Mr Lythe!) I now feel it's time for another centre pin. I should be able to smuggle it into the garage without it being noticed - remember most women can't count rods and reels properly (one, two, many)!

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Nice article Dave. What did you do with the Carter Gem, did you sell it or have you still got it? I'm only asking because I'd be interested.....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Nice to see the Rapidex and, particularly, the Trudex getting a recommendation!
Lacking spokes, they seem to have become unfashionable, but they are lighter than they look, strong as oxen, well-behaved little workhorses.
The Trudex's arbour is shallower than a Speedia's, but deeper than a Match Aerial's, so it's much less of a moody sow in a sidewind than the latter, and the machined arbour means the line comes off smooth, not threepenny-bitted into a concatenation of corners all arguing over matters of precedence as to who may go though which ring in what order - utter bane when using slightly too small a float in a slow flow with a long, modern rod.

Alan Taylor 3

Reaction score
Great article!! I've just gone back to centrepin's & hope to do most of my fishing with them. I'm esp[ecially pleased that I've got 2 of the models you mention - the Bewick & the Okuma ( Aventa Pro rather than the Sheffield) as well as a Rolling Pin. Bring on those Tench!!!!

barbeldave

Reaction score
Nice article Dave. What did you do with the Carter Gem, did you sell it or have you still got it? I'm only asking because I'd be interested.....
Hello Greg, the Carter Aerial Gem has long gone I'm afraid. To be honest, it was not one of my favourites. I also had a Carter Merlin but that also looked much better than it fished. If you want a very special reel then have a word with Chris Lythe. If you want one off the shelf then go for the new Bewick. All the best, Dave

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

In the early days of my fishing my main reel was always a centre pin, although I started with an Intrepid Monarch.
The reel was a Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme, I used it for all my float fishing, river and stillwater.
I then fell into the trap of fishing with a fixed spool for many years, fishing off the clutch.
Last season I dug out two centre pins that were gifted to me 8 years ago and last year, having ebayed my my Grice & Young about 8 years ago.

So, I have been using my JW Young Heritage for trotting, and my latest gift the Purist ll for inside line freelining, and light ledgering.

The feel of the fish fighting much improved my joy of fishing, letting my thumb and fingers do the controlling rather that the reel.

I've now bought myself a Ray Walton Rolling Pin, anybody want some Shimano's?

Hi Fred, the answer to the cane question is yes and no. I absolutely love playing barbel on a cane rod when fishing smaller rivers and would thoroughly recommend it. I do not like trotting for roach, grayling etc using cane rods though. They are heavy, awkward and give you no advantage over lighter and longer carbon rods. All the best, Dave

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Fred,

Sorry, no prizes for guessing what my answer might be to that question . . . . . .

Dave,

A lovely article, and one that made me feel quite jealous; especially as you have a Bisterne Aerial . . . .

Personally, I can hardly wait for your bamboo article, roll-on 2010!
Thanks Peter, not long to wait now. All the best, Dave

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

A timely and very useful article as I'm on the hunt for a barbel pin. The check on my Swallow just isn't up to barbel fishing and having learnt to Wallis cast (thank you Mr Lythe!) I now feel it's time for another centre pin. I should be able to smuggle it into the garage without it being noticed - remember most women can't count rods and reels properly (one, two, many)!
Thanks Sean, it sounds like you owe Chris an order !!! All the best, Dave

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Nice to see the Rapidex and, particularly, the Trudex getting a recommendation!
Lacking spokes, they seem to have become unfashionable, but they are lighter than they look, strong as oxen, well-behaved little workhorses.
The Trudex's arbour is shallower than a Speedia's, but deeper than a Match Aerial's, so it's much less of a moody sow in a sidewind than the latter, and the machined arbour means the line comes off smooth, not threepenny-bitted into a concatenation of corners all arguing over matters of precedence as to who may go though which ring in what order - utter bane when using slightly too small a float in a slow flow with a long, modern rod.
Hi Alan, I totally agree with your comments. The Trudex/Rapidex are proper fishing reels. All the best, Dave

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Great article!! I've just gone back to centrepin's & hope to do most of my fishing with them. I'm esp[ecially pleased that I've got 2 of the models you mention - the Bewick & the Okuma ( Aventa Pro rather than the Sheffield) as well as a Rolling Pin. Bring on those Tench!!!!
Both fabulous reels Alan. Tench? Perfect grayling weather at the moment !!! All the best, Dave

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I did some business with Chris already a few years back - best money I've ever spent on fishing tackle!!!!