Roy Shaw 1922-2009

dezza

Reaction score
I only learned recently of the death earlier this year of Hull angling writer and photographer Roy Shaw.

Roy was a regular contributor on Yorkshire angling and wildlife affairs to Angling Times, Fishing, Trout and Salmon, Trout Fisherman, Shooting Times, Yorkshire Life and Angling Telegraph. He was a brilliant man behind the camera who always had time for others. He taught me a great deal about photographic composition and darkroom techniques.

His great friend was another Yorkshire legend - Charles Derrick. Roy also fished a great deal with game angler Arthur Oglesby and was a member of the West Beck Preservation Society which enabled him to fish on England's most northerly chalkstream.

During the late 60s, Roy became a member of Tag Barnes' "The Ridings Specimen Group" along with Charles Derrick, Derek Gibson, Edward Hinchcliffe and myself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another sad loss to the sport. My sympathy to you Ron at the loss of an old acquaintance and condolences to family and other friends.

It's been a difficult month in this respect

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I was saddened to hear of the passing of Roy. He was a great guy and a brilliant photographer. I remember the shots he captured of grayling spawning, with the males hard up against the females, with their dorsal fin's folded across the back's of them, in a sort of piscian embrace. Stunning stuff back then in the mid sixties. That can be seen in the old ''Fishing'' mag of that period, I have a copy somewhere.

The last time I saw Roy was at a pike get together on the river Hull, organised by Tag, for members of ''The Riding's Specimen Group''.

A belated RIP mate, and thank's for the memories.