Is it OK to freeze casters?

dazdidge

Reaction score
I've ordered casters for boxing day but just had a call to say that my fishing partner won't be coming so i will have too many casters for my own use.

Can I freeze half of them for another day? I might just leave them in the garage as that's like a fridge at the moment!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
You can freeze them but you'll find that they turn black a couple of hours after thawing out and that they are very fragile to use on the hook. They still catch fish.

barry dix

Reaction score
Can't they be stored by placing them in a plastic bag squeezing all of the air out and placing them in a cool place, remembering to let some air back into the bag each day so that they can breath before squeezing the air back out and so on?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
The best way to freeze casters is to glug them with a flavour or glug (I use The Source), give then a good shake, squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible then seal and freeze. The flavour acts as an anti freeze and helps stop them splitting as you put them on the hook when thawed out.

redalert06

Reaction score
As the previous two posters said I have found they can be kept in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks by squeezing all of the air out of the bag before fridging them and every couple days open bag and re squeeze.

When freezing them put water in the bag so they are just covered and as this expands when freezing - seems to alleviate the normal effect of them changing colour and breaking so easily. They are definitely good in ground bait like this at least

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Freeze them, yes you can, but best not to. They turn black after thawing as they burn when freezing, this is due to the cold and the casters touching each other and the sides of the bag.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Skippy,

I wouldn't freeze casters myself, but if i had to, it wouldn't be for more than 48 hours, and thats to long IMO.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I regularly use casters that have been frozen for months. If you add some 'anti-freeze' as described above they are perfectly usable, although you need to take care with hooking them as some do split on freezing. When used like this they go black after about 8 hours, so you get a day's fishing out of them. They are also best used in a feeder, although you can loose feed them.

preston96

Reaction score
Whatever happened to "stepping up" the feed towards the end of the day?

Its caught me the odd special fish over the years................i could never fish confidently with a bait like frozen casters............tight ar$ed gits!:p