Cooking/Food Kit ?

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Planning some long secessions this comeing season, usually take cook kit, coffee perk, canned goods etc. ___Wondering , whats in your cooking/food kit for long secessions?

Thanks & tight lines,
Cat

noknot

Reaction score
Hi Cat,

Frying pan for a big breakfast, sausage eggs bacon mushrooms the works, that will keep you going all day, then in the evening, a big pot of curry cooked on the bank, takes some beating, or spag bol or Chillie and some crusty rolls, washed down with a few bottles of red;)

That will keep you warm and happy!

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
washed down with a few bottles of red;)

That will keep you warm and happy!

A few bottles! More like totaly ******! :D

I’ve never really seen the benefit or joy of drinking alcohol whilst fishing, rather like wearing a Johnny, you can do it, but it takes the edge of the pleasure. I much rather have a bottle waiting for me at home. I’ve tried it a couple of times on social sessions and didn’t like it, distracts the mind and takes you out the “zone” it messes with your radar equipment…

/TRM

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
Planning some long secessions this comeing season, usually take cook kit, coffee perk, canned goods etc. ___Wondering , whats in your cooking/food kit for long secessions?

Thanks & tight lines,
Cat

What do you class as a long session?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When fishing a 2 night session I take with me the following:

Sungas duo burner - it is light and the cylinders last for ages.
(Cakey put me onto those a while back and they are brilliant, if you can get one)
Kettle, frying pan and a couple of camping saucepans, and an insulated drinks mug. mosto f hte plates eetc all fit intl a Nash cooking bag together with cutlery.

If the venue allows it then I also take the Kelly Kettle.

Food is always sausages, eggs etc., for breakfast, and I usually cook and freeze things like; Stews, spaghetti, chilli or a casserole.
These will stay frozen for a day or so but I keep them in a car-type small fridge.

For drinks I take both Tea and Coffee and in the autumn hot chocolate as well.

Dal

Reaction score
I always take my Colemans petrol stove, at least a gallon of water, plenty of coffee, tea and milk, also milk powder and if I'm going for a 2 day or more session, I always take at least 1 or 2 dozen fresh bantem eggs and a pound of bacon for breakfasts (bread, butter etc.)

I only normally Carp fish in Autumn/Winter so there's no problems with keeping the butter cold!

I tend to steer clear from any "hot" foods, chillie, curry's etc. as our lakes have no toilet facilities :wh.

In days gone by the only Carp anglers food was "pot-noodles" but thankfully they've gone :eek: as this food and Guiness really do not mix well :D

Hope this helps Cat ;)

Dal

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Paul, I can walk to river or drive to a few large ponds, (15 - 30 acres, you would probably call lakes), for a days fishing. Better venues 30 or more miles from me are for 2 or 3 day secessions. Any thing longer than that I consider long secessions. I plan on some week or longer secessions for the comeing season.
One piece of kit I take is a cast iron "Duch oven", when weight isn't a consideration. Fill with meat, vegies etc, and water. place over coals or charcoal, put coals or charcoal on top.
In about an hour you have a meal fit for a king! Very versital, can bake pies of all kinds etc. Mine is a 12", can get smaller or larger.
Dal, What do you fish for in the summer?

Cheers, Cat

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
Paul, I can walk to river or drive to a few large ponds, (15 - 30 acres, you would probably call lakes), for a days fishing. Better venues 30 or more miles from me are for 2 or 3 day secessions. Any thing longer than that I consider long secessions. I plan on some week or longer secessions for the comeing season.
One piece of kit I take is a cast iron "Duch oven", when weight isn't a consideration. Fill with meat, vegies etc, and water. place over coals or charcoal, put coals or charcoal on top.
In about an hour you have a meal fit for a king! Very versital, can bake pies of all kinds etc. Mine is a 12", can get smaller or larger.
Dal, What do you fish for in the summer?

Cheers, Cat

Hmmm........i class waters 30miles from me as local and well within reach for half a days fishing never mind 2 to 3 days.:D

I keep the type of cooking gear you talk of for my caravan :wh

I can and have survived on far less than you for 2 0r 3 days by the sound of things :D

Specihunter

Reaction score
You can buy cooking sets from any good tackle , outdoor shop and argos. I know chub and trakker do sets .

noknot

Reaction score
A few bottles! More like totaly ******! :D

I’ve never really seen the benefit or joy of drinking alcohol whilst fishing, rather like wearing a Johnny, you can do it, but it takes the edge of the pleasure. I much rather have a bottle waiting for me at home. I’ve tried it a couple of times on social sessions and didn’t like it, distracts the mind and takes you out the “zone” it messes with your radar equipment…

/TRM

Each to their own TRM, I can't see how a couple of glasses of wine is a problem, as even the Great MR.Yates has one or two;)

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Each to their own TRM, I can't see how a couple of glasses of wine is a problem, as even the Great MR.Yates has one or two;)

But then I don’t camp and fish either. I do however know a lot of session anglers who enjoy a drink; some more than others, as you say it’s whatever floats your boat. I just can’t get away with it myself.