River Lea - Kings Weir

Weeman

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having recovered from the usual Christmas gluttony, I've booked a swim at kings weir for tomorrow to try and get some barbel and chub.

Any views on tactics? I haven't fished it for years so could do with a few pointers if anyone knows the fishery?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I haven't fished it for donkeys years but when I did, at this time of year when the river was in flood, there's a ditch on the far side that runs into the tail end of the weirpool. That ditch was always thick with fish (roach, dace, chub etc) - and good pike were to be had at the mouth of that ditch.

Weeman

Reaction score
Ah yes, I had some good chub from there in the past and I've booked one of the swims on the far side - hope it still holds some good un's.

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
The beach swim on the far bank could well be under water Weeman. It will be up and racing through. With some cold icy chocolate coloured water thumping over the weir sill. A big smelly piece of meat in any slack you can find might locate you a chubby chevvy. Odds are against a Barbus, but all good luck. At least you are making the effort to get out there.
Gary

Weeman

Reaction score
You were dead right Gary!

Every swim was underwater so I didn't bother. Went and flung some cheese paste around the Stort and had a few Chub instead.

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
Good man, sensible approach to fishing under the current extreme weather conditions. Good that you got out and even better that you found some chevvies. Gary