Your best fishing session of 2009

Shine

Reaction score
Whatever you fish for what was the best fishing session you had this year?

Mine would be catching 3 carp from 14-21lb so close in the margins. All caught about 2 foot out, all in the same spot. Lovely August day.

Another one was me and a fishing mate having a roach challenge. After about an hour we both lost count. We couldn't go wrong that day.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Blimey?

My weekend with Andy was brilliant, but my two days with Mike were also fantastic! And of course my two days on different venues with Muffin were amazing!

I can't call it? Four pb's!!!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Blimey?

My weekend with Andy was brilliant, but my two days with Mike were also fantastic! And of course my two days on different venues with Muffin were amazing!

I can't call it? Four pb's!!!

I can..... You're clearly sh*t on you're own......... :):)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
My Best Fishing Session this Year (2009) was undoubtedly having a go at Canal Fishing, using the Pole and 3 metre Whips with Bread, Pinkies and not much else and still catching plenty of small fish.

I FAKKIN LARVED EET.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Three days spring to mind:

Day 1 - On the Itchen in late July having to work really hard for my 2 brace limit on a rock-hard gin clear river. By lunch time I'd taken just one trout on the dry fly, but in the afternoon I searched the entire beat and took the remaiining 3 trout in the space of the last hour. Great day out!

Day 2 - On the Hampshire Avon taking over 25 pounds of Roach and Dace in a late afternoon to early evening session trotting a stick float midway down the stream.

Day 3 - On the Test for Grayling and taking my 2nd and 3rd best ever fish; both over 3 pounds. Trotting a balsa float to the far bank. It was one of those days when you are just happy to be alive and fishing!

Another day stands out and that was with Dave Slater on the Hampshire Avon and despite only catching one small eel the day was truly great, good company, good craic, but a well out-of-sorts river.

Looking forward to 2010 now with renewed enthusiasm, I just hope the rivers are a little more angler-friendly next year.

noknot

Reaction score
Many! but for me, I went for a day sesh, started very quiet indeed, but watched the water for signs of fish, the wind was pushing down to the road bank and had seen a couple of carp jump, So in the afternoon I moved down into the corner swim and fished to the margin, nice clean sand, and walked around and baited the spot by hand! First take a 9lb commom, followed by an 18lbs Catfish and shortly after a recast my HK pb common at 20lbs.6oz! I smiled to myself on the 3hrs journey home:)

S

Scott Whatmore

Mine was a lovely Saturday afternoon on the Thames at Windsor race course when I slipped my first barbel in the net. What a day !

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Blenheim Palace In a punt with Spiders ,I lost all my fish but what a great day.

Twas a great weekend Slimey. Spiders said it was cos yer hooks were to small and blunt and yer rod was too stiff :confused: I think I heard him mumble 'Suvern Muppet' when you lost the final one? It was lucky we could moor up so close together, or I'd have missed the comment :cool:

The fish-ins are so much better when 'we' don't have to shoot off home...
Did you fix the alarm on yer moby? :p:D

Rickrod

Reaction score
Had a decent brace of pike early in the year that was has good as it got for fishing this year

Reaction score
Blenheim Palace In a punt with Spiders ,I lost all my fish but what a great day.

It was a great weekend...although you realise Rik has had to go for "special treatment" in the Far East...he never really got over the shock of you emerging from the tent on the Friday evening..they are a bit sensitive the folk from Cheadle Hulme.

There was potential for a similar shock when Ron emerged from his palatial chalet to greet us outside the Haxey Bridge Inn t'other week...but we were made of sterner stuff and desperate for breakfast!

Yes I think the overriding moments for me of the year was the companionship....even the best day on the Dane (I do actually catch the occasional fish or two!!) was in the company of a Bay Malton member who politely asked if he could fish upstream of me and then shared in an excellent catch of chub and barbel.

Nathan

Reaction score
I had a few days off in early april to go fishing as a birthday treat & I managed to bank a new PB carp of 30lb-13oz. What a birthday celebration that was!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A few memorable days in 2009:

An excellent "net" of big Stour chub in January. Centrepin/balsa trotting maggot, caster or bread. Ended up with 2 "sixes", 11 over 5lbs and several others. All went back at my feet (too cold to get out of the water) apparently that's supposed to "kill the swim" but they kept feeding all afternoon!

PB barbel in February. Trotting for several hours without a bite. Chucked a feeder in - so I could have a coffee - two foot twitch! Also a good day in great company, thanks Roger!

Fly fishing for the first time in many a year with Peter, Graham and Ed. Catching rainbows in a snow blizzard in March. Great day for me, which started me off again with the fly rod. Another great social event which lasted all weekend!

A "net" of about 15lb of dace, bleak, perch, small roach and chub, again from the Stour but on far bank waggler tactics. Great way to fish in perfect conditions for it - must do it more often!

Double figure rainbow and brown from Avington on the same day. Memorable if only for the great fight they both put up. Tasted great as well once they were both smoked.

Lost a 20lb+ rainbow after more than 3 hours stalking, eventually hooking it, played it for about 15 minutes, got it under control and then...........
...... the moment of silence from the gathered "audience" and from me was deafening!

I didn't get out as much as I usually do but 2009 was another good year.

Hopefully 2010 will bring us all good fishing and good days out.

Oops nearly forgot! Did my invite for the "Blenheim Do" get lost in the post? Never mind, from reports, it's seems it was a bit of a rough day! :p

Last edited:

r1paul

Reaction score
:wFor me too , Blenheim Palace has got to be my best session of the season , didn`t catch but a great day , my old Gillie ( Woody) rowing me around all day , what more could one want .:wh