How bad a christmas break for an angler.

A

alan whittington

My river of choice the middle Thames has been out of sorts all season for a variety of reasons(some known,some imaginary),but levels and flows have been high for some weeks now,then comes the christmas break,snow and ice melt,so im wasting my time,so ok what about stillwaters,ah their frozen,the joys of an angler,i hope someone is luckier than i out there,happy new year to all. :rolleyes:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
First we had 2 weeks when the rivers flooded closely followed by proper winter conditions with snow and ice on top of which came Xmas and just when it started to get milder the cold and snow returns.

We are doomed, doomed I tell ye!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well...I was all set to go tomorrow but the forecast here which was dry is now wind & rain and about 3-4 degrees. Cold doesn't bother me because I've sorted my clothing out but I cannot bear fishing under an umbrella let alone setting up in the rain.

A

alan whittington

Its been 4 degrees or less for three days at least,even with the rain and forecast to get a little cooler,all this and a river full of salty melt water,superb,still i will soon be back at work:eek:.

preston96

Reaction score
How about looking at tribs and back waters?........generally they are first to get rid of all the crud that may put the fish off feeding.

Some streams and brooks are fish havens when the main river is pants........i had a nice bag this week from a Severn trib whilst the main river was full of muck, cold and belting through.

Side streams, Tributarys, marinas etc all hold fish when the main river seems devoid.

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
Hey ...totally gutted by the situation....i work in munich and am away 3months at a time...had been planning my xmas fishing campaign since oct.....get home,,,day of rest.....then load up and off on a 10day tour of the rivers.....plan was start off up on the trent for 4-5 days...then shoot down to norwich 2 see familly and of course get a bit of time on the wensum for 2-3 days then off down to throop and the royalty for another 2-3-days.....but no...that would be too flippin easy....instead i was completly snowed in for the first 4 days unable to get the car out ...then i got snowed out..had to leave car at bottom off hill for another 3 days...so had to abandon all plans.....so am now returning to munich on monday without even wetting a line.....wont get another chance to fish untill april.....(prob the worst month fo the year)....so much 4 planning!!!!!.....now pass me the bloddy jack daniels...and i dont care if it is only 10.30am....bah bloody humbug!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Almost the same for me mate, got christmas day and boxing day out of the way,fished the GU canal on sunday,which was pants ,but at least I was out..
spent the last 3 precious days of holiday indoors. All my plans are dashed by the weather, I will try and go for a short session this afternoon on the Colne, or my sanity may may be affected.....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The good news was that the Stour fished brilliantly for roach last weekend but now it's 6ft up, heavily coloured and still rising.

preston96

Reaction score
The good news was that the Stour fished brilliantly for roach last weekend but now it's 6ft up, heavily coloured and still rising.

Bet theres a load in that little bit where the &^^$ runs in near to &£4"*7 :wh

redalert06

Reaction score
Normally this time of year I'd have been in the exeter canal but it has been frozen badly and with two weeks off I didn't want to sit at home so I've tried the river exe. The Monday before last I'd had 2 bream and lost one, the Tuesday I'd had 1 and lost one and the Wednesday I'd blanked with another angler catching one at 9lb so I knew they were there. So this Monday I went back again to the same spot first cast on the feeder I had a drop back and a few minutes later a monster slab came into the net. I didn't have another bite all day but still sat there with a grin anyway, a friend brought some scales and the bream went 10lb 8oz my biggest ever and from a river which sees no carp anglers at all! great to see such fish naturally making that size. All fish have been in immaculate condition as well, completely different to the battered old things you catch in the canal. Strange to find them in the shallowest water probably on 4-5 foot deep but apparently a lot are caught in this area towards the end of the season, maybe no one has bothered to try this early before.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Get in there Tewton, that is a clonking slab! Made up for you, one bite is all that it takes.

Did you get any pics? Put them up mate, a 10.08 January slab, Happy New Year ;)

redalert06

Reaction score
I have a pic but is on a mates camera, waiting for them.

went back on saturday fished 11 till 4. had a grayling within an hour then lost a munter bream then landed another huge one, didn't have scales but it barely fit in landing net and was easy 9lb.

cracking fishing

redalert06

Reaction score
17875_102630759765294_100000551127944_69993_8338247_n.jpg

this is the shot of my 10lb 8oz Bream from Monday December 28th 2009.