Cold weather fish location - Ponds

Old Nick

Reaction score
I am fishing a 2 - 3 acre lake over the next few days with a bottom slope going from about 2 feet at one end to 5 feet at the damn end, the weather is getting colder (dropping to around 6 C max).

Logic would dictate that the fish will be at the deep end (damn end) as there should be less of a temperature fluctuation - however does this generally hold true in reality? and would 5 feet of water be sufficient to reduce temperature drops?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Nick

slime monster

Reaction score
Get the wind on your back and if possible fish the sunny bank ,any cover could be a holding spot for fish and do not assume they are on the bottom. dam end looks favourite.

re sunny bank ..pure optimism.

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
At water temperatures above 4 degrees C, warm water is lighter than cooler water. At 4 degrees and below, the molecular structure of water changes so that cool water is lighter than warmer water. In calm windless conditions there may be a stable layer of the coldest water on the surface of the lake. As the temperature drops to freezing, then the cold water on the surface freezes first.

I'd try the deepest area of the pond. Note that if there's a strong wind, then this will mix up the layers of water at different temperatures, so in practice there may be little or no difference between the top and the bottom of the water column.

coelacanth

Reaction score
Is it possible to visit at dusk in advance? Even on very cold days, fish will often give their position away by topping or rolling as the light fades, that might give you some target areas to aim for.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Just got back from the lake, two nice roach and a perch, all around 6" off the bottom (thanks Slime), during the very few occasions the sun broke out fish were rolling against the damn - no other activity anywhere else on the lake - in fact an old hand at the lake was surprised I caught anything in this weather! it just goes to show if your not there you cant catch!

Thanks for the advice - it worked!

Nick