float set up for river

craftycarper

Reaction score
hi guys,i dont usually post on here let alone fishing magic but wanted some advice on fishing my local river.

a small river near me has carp (yes yes spit on floor!) to over 30 pound.when it floods(why id thought id post here too) the carp get into the back waters in amongst it all and i want to try lure them out on naturals.

my problem is never having taken float fishing seriously i have no understanding of various set ups,despite the untold amounts of books and diagrams ive seen over the years!

my main problem is the current drawing the float under,the line making it behave strangely and not being able to leave it.even fishing right under the tip in the situation ive mentioned i still have this problem,let alone when casting to the opposite bank in calmer conditions(fishing to sluices etc).

obviously as its carp im after id like the bait to remain static and on the bottom,ive seen now how to assemble the lift method correctly,but what are your tips on how to shot the float effectively,what float to use and where to encourage the line when fishing across stream to prevent it getting drawn under?

i was pleasantly suprised after much perserverance yesterday to find a few massive fish feeding in the freezing cold and i want to get what should be a very simple method right so my stealthy approach can pay off!

many many thanks

crafty

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The lift method is a classic way of catching tench,carp in summertime on still waters....lakes and ponds.
I personally wouldn`t have thought you could use it on flowing water,though someone on here will no doubt say otherwise....lol
I would have thought that strett pegging would be your best bet,especially as i`ve seen john wilson do it for carp on flowing water.
I`m sure i`ve got the dvd of it knocking about somewhere ???

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Crafty

When using a float do not be afraid to go big. A heavy float that takes plenty of shot will still be sensitive to bites if it is shotted correctly. In a fast or turbulent piece of water a float taking 4, 5 or even 6 swan shot can still give minute indications.

But do you need a float? You have said that you have the fish under your rod top, would a lead/bolt rig not achieve the desired affect just as easily?

craftycarper

Reaction score
Possibly Dave.conventionally i fish ledgering maize during normal conditions.but as its winter and the fish may be feeding more sensitively and be more cautious as in quite shallow back-waters,i fancy a visual indication..who knows though,maybe your right!??

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Why not use a float leger?

Tie a paternoster and attach sufficient lead for the conditions then put a float - overdepth - above it. It is a sort of 'laying on' rig and can be used to 'stret peg' but with the extra lead gives you more control.

We all like to watch a float, I can understand why you want to use one :)

craftycarper

Reaction score
Why not use a float leger?

Tie a paternoster and attach sufficient lead for the conditions then put a float - overdepth - above it. It is a sort of 'laying on' rig and can be used to 'stret peg' but with the extra lead gives you more control.

We all like to watch a float, I can understand why you want to use one :)

haha that last sentiment never leaves you.excuse my niavity,but i thought a paternoster is a float that sets its own depth,is that what you mean?im guessing i can use it with a running lead so its still sensitive to the fish?

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Crafty

All a paternoster is, is a long leger link. You can tie a water knot and have for example, a 12" hooklength then a 6" leger link. It is fixed which will give you up to a foot of play before the weight is felt.

If you are worried about tethering (not much if an issue if the weight is lightly squeezed ssg shot) then you can replace it with a leger link that is fixed via a swivel and of a lighter material - rotten bottom style.

The float can be set at a fixed depth, or sliding if the water is very deep.

Its a pretty basic rig which seems to have fallen out of fashion over the last decade or so, but it will catch you plenty of fish.

Good luck

Brian Barn

Reaction score
try fishing a waggler just off bottom, and a little trick that i learnt was to feed the line by hand slowly, this way when you strike it wil be a quick flick, try it, used to do it on the ribble bag up on chubb with this tatic,