The "Ultra-Cult" Sub Culture

dezza

Reaction score
Does anyone remember those days?

During a trip to England in the 70s, I met up with an old fishing friend who lived in Derbyshire. We decided to take a drive to a well known estate lake nearby for a walk. It was a beautiful October day and the walk was passing quite pleasantly when I spotted a group of anglers.

Well they did seem like anglers as they each had two rods out on rests with alarms and "monkey climbers" (anyone remember them). But the similarity ended there. These guys in actual fact looked like hippies with long straggly hair and beards. They all wore what I believe were "tank suits" and floppy hats. More interesting were the brollies with camo wrap overs and neat little camo hides. All the anglers rods were painted in matt olive green or black and even the rod rests and buzzers were treated in camo.

I walked up to one of these characters and asked him how the fishing was going. It was as if he didn't hear me!

My friend waved me away and told me that these guys were of the "Ultra Cult" angling sect who didn't talk to anyone.

So it was true. Jim Gibbinson was right, a specimen hunting sub culture had been created.

Do any of you remember the "Ultra Cult" sect?

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
hey I was ultracult mate in the secret seventies, we were the *******s, tank suit, barbour long hair and a beard and a NASG badge proudly displayed along with a floppy hat, at times we even looked like we knew what we were doing lol

r1paul

Reaction score
We used to make the climbers out of wine bottle tops which we would buy in boots the chemist , as for the tank suit , I bought mine through the " Exchange and Mart " .
For anybody who doesn`t know , the tank suit was worn by the tank crews in WW11 , very very heavy , loads of pockets and zips .:cool:

Reaction score
Ah the good old days eh Les....I gather the nouveau ultras sport camou mankinis.....guarantees nobody gets within a 100 yards of them (not even the carp!).

Happy New Year to you and your wife

Paul