hello and happy new year

ugiefisher

Reaction score
first time on any internet forum so wish me luck. been fishing on and off for 30 years trying to get serious this time, as in would like to catch roach from local rivers. don't know if this right place to put but main thing is want a how to on the most freely given piece of advise on ledgering rivers and that is using enough weight just to hold the bottom. how do i know when this is acheived. next what tip should i use as say a few swan shot needed find it difficult to tighten tip to have tried bomb rods half ounce quivers none of them work, so how come these specimen rods for roach start with one and a half ounce quivers, if any one can tell in plain english would be most grateful. will post this else where as might be wrong place as just meant to say hello. Hope you can help

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Hello Tango, and welcome aboard mate.

Have no worries about any queries you may have, the guy's on here will help, have no doubt of that. Have fun. :w

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello tango235,

Welcome to the Marvels of FishingMagic.

We're a friendly bunch on the Whole.

Fell free to ask any questions, or Just to join in any current topic of conversation.

Tight Lines.

dezza

Reaction score
Try this when legering for roach on running water. Use a rod with a fairly whippy glass quiver.

Use a feeder or link leger as normal. Cast downstream and across to the point where you want your bait to be and when the rig hits the water, slacken off and let it sink to the bottom at the same time allowing the line to from a bow in the current down stream. When sufficiant bow has been caused, flick over the pick-up and put the rod in a rest and point the tip of the quiver at the river.

A bite will be signified by the rod vibrating backwards and forward. Pick up the rod, wind down on the fish and tighten. Don't strike.

I have caught hundreds of chub, bream, roach and dace on a variety of rivers from the Leam to the Trent and from the Warwickshire Avon to the Severn using this method. It also works well when you want to leger upstream.

Last edited:

ugiefisher

Reaction score
all types of river, little or large slow or fast

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Try this when legering for roach on running water. Use a rod with a fairly whippy glass quiver.

Use a feeder or link leger as normal. Cast downstream and across to the point where you want your bait to be and when the rig hits the water, slacken off and let it sink to the bottom at the same time allowing the line to from a bow in the current down stream. When sufficiant bow has been caused, flick over the pick-up and put the rod in a rest and point the tip of the quiver at the river.

A bite will be signified by the rod vibrating backwards and forward. Pick up the rod, wind down on the fish and tighten. Don't strike.

I have caught hundreds of chub, bream, roach and dace on a variety of rivers from the Leam to the Trent and from the Warwickshire Avon to the Severn using this method. It also works well when you want to leger upstream.

many thanks, but how do i know i have the correct amount of weight to just hold the bottom or is it a case of make sure your holding the bottom and use the extra line you are paying out to fine tune it?