Gravel Pit Bream – Part 2

W

Wendy Perry

Loved reading the story Paul on Gravel Pit Bream i've only ever caught one bream and that was just on my local pond and it was a lovely fish to catch.

M

Malcolm Smith

Paul,
I read your artical with interest, it's a pity you did not mention worms and casters.
These are the two baits I catch 80% of bream on either lake or river fishing.

I normally put out a mat of hemp and sweet corn, then fill my feeder with brown crum and chopped worms and corn, on my barbless hook I put worm and caster or worm and sweet corn. It's a very good bream bait.

I noticed also from the picture that you use three rods, what happens if all three alarms go together? and some carp anglers use four and even five rods. Which nice fish has to suffer?
Okay I,v had my say, but a good artical all the same.

C

Carp Angler

It's a venue thing.

I'm presuming with your reticence towards multiple rods that you only fish with one and if you're enjoying good success with numbers of fish, then that's fine.

Fishing a single rod on the venues that Paul, Warren, Murray and others target would lead to a year long blank.

Very large, mature, rich gravel pits, where bream go to the size that these people target are very hard venues with a small population of large fish.
3, 4 or 5 rods gives you the option to fish several areas using different baits and/or strategies.

If the venue was a type where the possiblity of 3 or even 2 rods were to go off at the same time, then Paul, being the responsible and caring angler that he is, would not be using a multiple set-up.

P

Paul Williams

Malcolm,
You are 100% correct worms and casters are a terrific bait for bream and if you read the problem page of FM you will see that i agree with you in one of my replies......you will also note that i'm talking of gravel pit bream not lake or river, gravel pits require a different approach and usually it calls for "session" angling with large amounts of bait and the reason i use maggots is that i can buy them very cheap by bulk buying "feeder maggots" these i can clean and freeze for use when called for( the other baits are cheap easily stored/prepared ).......i have to pay full whack for castors and buying a couple of gallons or more at a time can be a tagde expensive.....i also refuse to pay for worms most of the time but i agree they are both great baits and if i still fished for river bream or lake bream on a day basis they would be high up on my list.
Yep i use three rods at times, sometimes two if fishing to the one baited area, i think Rik gives most of the reasons why, but please don't think i (we) do it just for the sake of it......years ago i fished places like the Severn,Avon, Earlswood,Edgbaston for bream with one rod, it is far far differnt and all i (we) are doing is adapting to the situation.....oh and because i may have to fish for a few days i also use a bivvy....again not everyones cup of tea but it is mine.

A

andrew jackson

I agree with Paul and Rik 100%. If all three rods go at once on these type of waters, the crays have come out to play.

C

Craig Smith

Paul,
What advice can you give on estate lake bream?
I know the water is crystal clear and there is a boat avaliable. There is aswell as bream, tench, carp and reports of big eels.
This is my first real thought's of specimen fishing after 13yrs of pleasure fishing.

P

Paul Williams

Craig,
It really is difficult to comment on a water i don't know.....i know of shallow silty estate lakes and deep (20+ft) estate lakes so even the term helps little....the boat is a massive help (don't forget a lifesaver1) explore with the boat and get to know the contours and make up of the lake.
You may be able to spot the bream rolling/moving along so spend time looking for them and noting the areas and direction of travel, you may be able to couple this with a known feature such as a silt bed and that area could produce.
I know i said i may need a lot of bait but don't go overboard untill you know the water.....this could be exactly the kind of water i would use the methods Malcolm describes, at least to start with, i would still consider maggots though.....and again ask the carp lads if they are catching bream on boilies, if so try simple fishmeal/pellet boilies in 10mm sizes...caster/worm cocktail on one rod, boilie on another?
Good luck with your "specimen" angling, but all angling is pleasure angling mate, if i'm starting to feel a little fazed by any type of angling i move off it for a while, to be succsesful you need to be totally focused and sometimes a change is as good as a rest........at the moment i'm fired up for eel.....how big did you say those in your lake go ;)