rig books

S

stu black

After reading some previous threads about leadcore and other rigs, i think i need a sensible rig-book to read.

any suggestions folks?

cheers,

Stu

C

Carp Angler

Put the ?5.99 to better use and buy something useful.

Ask yourself, are you happy with your rigs?
If not, why not?
If you need to change them, you must change them for the reasons you think, not just because you've seen someone else using a different rig.

If you come across a problem, then there are enough experienced anglers on here to help you out.

S

stu black

To be honest, all my rigs are very basic, usually no more than a running lead. i didn't fish for a few years and always used to think that carp anglers were slightly odd ;) but now ive been fishing hard for the last 2 years again, i want to up my catch rate and give better presentation etc but ive missed out on years of rig refinement and the whole array of different end tackle available is bewildering to say the least! A decent book would be a starting point, at least to explain the theory behind each presentation, and most importantly keep all my rigs safe!!

I'll get a copy of the Korda book, thanks David.

And when ive got a clearer picture of what's what.....i'll come back and pick your brains CA!!!

Thanks guys.

Stu

C

Carp Angler

I think you've missed my point Stu.

BTW, the majority of my carping is done with running leads.

S

stu black

I do take your point CA and i think its very important that anglers of all abilitys should be able to, and are encouraged to think about what their rigs are doing for them.

What i'm looking for are some ideas to kickstart me on the carp fishing front.
My point is that i dont know whats available or how it works.

A simple book should surely give me that, rather than me wandering in the dark?

C

Carp Angler

Tie up one of these or one of these
and add one of these
tied using this

Now you don't have to worry about that, you can concentrate on the important stuff like location, patrol routes and feeding times.

S

stu black

CA i really dont mean to annoy you!!

Yes i can copy any rig i see in a paper/magazine/website.

Did you invent all your own rigs or did you hear of an idea that you refined for your purposes?

C

Carp Angler

99% of my rigs are the same design I was using 15 years ago.
The materials may have changed a little and I now use the knotless knot because it's so much bloody easier, but that's it.
I went down the rigs route and it didn't do me much good.
I was worrying too much about rigs and I started to lose confidence because I kept changing everything.

I don't mean to annoy you, but are you catching?
If you are, then don't worry.
If people are catching more than you, it's not because they are using the latest rig, it's because they have more fish in front of them or they are feeding/baiting in a way that the carp want.

BTW, the Korda rig book is very average.
If I had a copy I'd post it to you.

S

stu black

With what ive learnt in the last 20 years about watercraft and patrol routes etc i was looking for some tips that could help refine my end presentaion to help me pick up the taps that never become bites.

S

stu black

ok, thanks.

I'll be peering over your shoulder at the Stoney&friends fishin though ;)

C

Craig w

Stu if you want a copy of the Korda book drop me a line and you can have mine. I also have a little Nash book of rigs i dont need.

W

Wendy Perry

What Carp Angler says about changing rigs and things is very true i am very new to fishing and when i was fishing with basic technics i was catching fish for fun. Now i am trying so many different rigs i keep blanking i reckon if your catching on one particular rig stick with it i'm going back to my basic's.

C

Carp Angler

Stu

No problem at all.
Come round and we'll spend some time going through anything you have an issue with. (fishign related only)
I'll be catting on the Match lake.

C

Carp Angler

As an aside, Stu Dennis and myself will be covering some rigs in a forth coming 'Question of Carp' article.

If anyone has any particular questions then mail them to Stu.
Mail the Fat Boy

S

stu black

Right Thanks guys.
maybe i didnt come across too well at first.

what i mean is that for the last 35 years many better anglers than me have been concentrating on catching carp.......it would take me many lifetimes to come up with a fraction of those ideas. ( if any at all)
im not after a bible just something that can explain the thinking behind some ideas so that i can relate it to my own fishing. I want to understand for instance why those beads are there not just put them in because theres a pretty diagram of a rig thats caught fish.