Threat to the Lodden URGENT!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Threat to the Loddon URGENT!

Hi All

Thought you might want a 'heads up' on this. There's a link to the petition below the letter - the more signatures the better! TODAY IF POSSIBLE!!!

Important Petition to Sign Today at the Latest to Help Fight Huge Housing Development on the Upper Loddon
Dear Gresham Member,

Please read Peter Lumley's letter to me below, and then see the link below that to the petition, which should be signed today or it'll be too late. I'm afraid I've been away over Xmas and as I don't have email when not at work, I've only just seen this petition myself.

Best wishes for the New Year,
Edward Barder
Hon. Secretary, Gresham Angling Society

Edward

I am not sure if you have been made aware of the proposed development situation in the Loddon Valley and that Basingstoke and Deane are looking to build some 10,000 house. This would clearly have implications for Loddon River and in turn the Gresham Club and the waters it has along this area.

I have been sent an email petition by a local friend who is organising an Action Group to make people aware of the situation and it struck me that the members of the Gresham Club might be prepared to put their names to the petition to make the council aware of the feelings of the fishmen to this development.

If you think this is something you would be prepared to send round to the membership I am sure it would have a high response rate and would be most helpful in preventing it. The more names from different parts of the country the better as I always feel this type of thing can always look a little like "not in my back yard" but with the Gresham members they are users of the facility rather than just NIMBYs.

I hope this email finds you well and you are not being effected to badly by the weather and wish you a happy Christmas and New Year. Let's hope we are able to fish along the Loddon for many years to come!

With kind regards
Peter Lumley

Petition

Last edited:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Done...
Not too happy my name and address is on full view though!
Let's hope all the votes help the cause...

The bad one

Reaction score
Done...

Steve I understand where you're coming from.....BUT this will form part of an objection to a planning application (PA) for the development. And anyone objecting to a PA will only have their objection considered with a full name and address, even if you sent a personal objection by e-mail to the Council concerned.

All objections to a PA will go into a file held in the Council Offices and be open to public scrutiny by anyone who wishes to view it. That's how the law around Planning Matters are framed.

All those who have signed, might even be contacted by the developer with an explanation of why this development is needed and a request form them, to you, to withdraw your/their objection.

It's the nature of the way the game is played!

BTW Guys I've e-mailed this link to Angling Trust.

---------- Post added at 01:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:48 ----------

Sean do you have a Planning Appl. Number of this development, or can you get me the appl No?
A development of this size needs lots of things putting in place... don't want to say what on the forum, as walls have ears and eyes ;)

If I can get the Appl. No I can have a look to see whether they're there. nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

If you have a contact email to the person who's running the campaign, it might be helpful for me, for anything I find. PM me privately if you have.

To anyone who is incensed and is thinking of putting in a personal formal objection to the council, it must cover what are called in planning terms "Material Conditions." The impact on the Loddon River, its flow, wildlife, and well-being can be used as a Material Condition.

Council's will tell you that all objections must be in by a particular date! It's bolloxs! You have the right to make a written objection right up and until the Planning Committee puts their fat ar2es down in the chairs to hear the application.
The reason why they, and usually its the Planning Officer dealing with the case, want them in long before the hearing date, is so the officer can write his report to the Planning Committee.
Planning Officers don't like surprises at the last minute that might make their recommendations look daft to the planning committee and make the committee make a decision against their recommendations. Because they all think they are gods! :rolleyes:

So a really juicy objection at the very last minute can really put the cat amongst em! :):):):):):)

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Back to the top.

Thanks to those who have voted so far and it's not too late if you haven't yet voted. There is an attempt to push this development through despite an EA recommendation against it due to flood and environmental issues.

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
I doubt this an application for an actual planning permission more like the Council's new Local Development Plan which identifies areas for actual development.They are usually determined at a full enquiry where all interested parties are entitled to put their case.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Done...

I didn't realize that till you said......... Just been looking at your fishpond on google earth :D:D

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Not too sure why I'm listed twice though......?

No 538 & 540.

Hope its a mistake, and doesn't jepodise the intergity of the petition.

preston96

Reaction score
I dont want to pee on your fire lads but angling doesn't stand a cat in hells chance of stopping the likes of this untill we have that one single body to fight for us!!

I know the area, the building is already underway, some of it on old MOD land.....it will go ahead.

We really do need to "GET BIG" it is the only way.

The Lodden has come to the fore because it is home to massive barbel, would we have been so eager if it had been just another run of the mill 3lb chub river?

Lets hope the AT can get big enough for the noise we make to matter because this petion will do nothing.......dispite the long posts claiming to know it all!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but i fear for the future of river angling.....we need to get behind something more powerful.