Tele travel rod any one used these??

tortoise100

Reaction score
I know this might be better in the tackle section (so please move if it should be there)but thought I had more chance of getting some sea anglers to take a look here.
I am looking to get a cheapish travel rod for fishing on my honey moon not sure exactly where yet but proberbly south pacific or indian ocean.

The main problem is getting something strong that will fit into my suitcase so the absolute maxime length closed is 80cm and even that is diaganol across the suitcase.

I would also like something very strong ie in the 100g or over catorgory but I realise this might not be possible .

The alternatives I have fouind so far are the :
£12.95/£13.95
Boat Pier Telescopic Fladen Celtic Sea Rod 7/8ft 100-300g
Closed 68/77cm can't find any reveiws so no idea if it is any good ?

Shakespeare IN2 Travel Telescopic Rod 10ft 30-60gm (closed 71cm)
These can be got for around £10 on ebay or £15 at mullarkys (were I could touch and feel before buying and take it back if no good)

All the so called pike or sea rods seem to be too long when collapsed yet most of the other rods don't have large casting weight.

I realise that getting an 8ft rod would limit casting anyway but I would rather go for strenght over casting distance as the rod would get more use after the holiday if I was to go for catfish or pike maybe?

My reaserch so far has found two reviews for the shakspere odossey tele rod that said it was no good with the rings all coming off and not very good quality though this is not the same rod.

I am looking for advice as you can tell I would be an only ocasional sea angler so interested to see if I am on the wrong track and a lighter further casting rod would be better ?

I did read the other post about travel rods but it seems to focus more on the course side of things when I want to be looking at catching largish fish (if I am lucky)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think Ron Clay posted a similar question before his last OZ trip Froggy so maybe do a search assuming this wasn't the thread that you read!

I've got a shimano exage which is probbly a bit light for what you want mate but they do a heavier version which may fit the bill?

tortoise100

Reaction score
That was not the post I had read,(thanks for bringing it up though) but now having read it it still doesn't answer my questions really but does bring up some new ones .

First I am only really lookng at the cheap end of the market even my most expensive rod was only £30 (not my favorite)

Secondly am I more likly to get some fun and action going for a spining type rod for close in work?,certainly more likly to get one in my suitcase.

Bluenose

Reaction score
It could be worthwhile having a mooch round a local shop mate. Travel rods don't usually get the same sort of space (discussion/adverts wise) as your latest trendy barbel rod. I went for something that covers as many jobs as possible. Maybe do a bit of research on your venue and see if static bait fishing or lure fishing is the better bet?

Is there a shop you could buy from when you get to your destination? Possibly ask on Trip Advisor?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
That was not the post I had read,(thanks for bringing it up though) but now having read it it still doesn't answer my questions really but does bring up some new ones .

First I am only really lookng at the cheap end of the market even my most expensive rod was only £30 (not my favorite)

Secondly am I more likly to get some fun and action going for a spining type rod for close in work?,certainly more likly to get one in my suitcase.

I still use a very old Andy Little DAM telescopic which has landed catfish up to 33lb but still is fun with a 2 or 3lb fish. The collapsed length of these tele rods are the vital thing - fitting in the suitcase is priority No1 - but what most people don't realise is that you can often saw off 2 or 3 inches from the butt without affecting the rod in anyway at all.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I still use a very old Andy Little DAM telescopic which has landed catfish up to 33lb but still is fun with a 2 or 3lb fish. The collapsed length of these tele rods are the vital thing - fitting in the suitcase is priority No1 - but what most people don't realise is that you can often saw off 2 or 3 inches from the butt without affecting the rod in anyway at all.

That is a good idea !
I could then have a much bigger choice but obviously no chance of taking it back if it's no good.
I have found that some of the cheap tackle out there can be very good but it is better to buy it face to face from a shop in case it doesn't last 5 minutes.

Still interested if Fladen are a good make or not ?

Think the real reason i keep looking at thes short powerfull rods is watching too much River monsters etc if I am honest.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I have only used a couple of Fladdens, both fly rods and I thought they were very good tools, very under-rated and easily as good as rods 3 times the price. I imagine the teles will also be good.
A pal of mine was dealing Fladden rods for a couple of years on eBay and he really rated them - but then he would, wouldn't he! :wh

slime monster

Reaction score
I bought a shakespeare carbon 10 ft spinning rod for £20 for sea fishing abroad ,it is surprisingly good and balanced and has doubled up at home for the odd spot of piking for large Jacks on canals.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I bought a shakespeare carbon 10 ft spinning rod for £20 for sea fishing abroad ,it is surprisingly good and balanced and has doubled up at home for the odd spot of piking for large Jacks on canals.

If thats the salt spin then I don't think it would fit in my suitcase or my budget!
but thanks for the tip.

Unless it is this one:Shakespeare IN2 Travel Telescopic Rod 10ft 30-60gm which is my front runner for the longest rod i could fit in my case at 71cm closed .

At the moment it is between that and the fladen and I will proberbly get a chance to test out (on salt water)which ever I get in febuary before the honeymoon in june.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Another factor is that you can actually get another inch or two out of the suitcase by packing the rod diagonally (of course) and then from top to bottom, whereby the butt is in the corner on the floor and the tip is into the corner of the top. You'll see what I mean when you come to pack it. The extra length realised depends on how wide the case is.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Certainly not on the cards bought a very good one to last .
If I was buying a new one now I would be looking for one of those big long holdall style ones on wheels that sports people get .

I did think about the diaganol element and it would make it just 80cm still not enough for most long beach caster or pike style rods.

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
Wish it would fit that looks good .
Damn for not thinking about transporting fishing rods when I bought my suitcase:mad:

slime monster

Reaction score
If thats the salt spin then I don't think it would fit in my suitcase or my budget!
It is neither,I am too warm indoors to be ar#ed to go to the garage to look but £20 was the price new ,it will go diagonal in a large wheeled suitcase but I put it in a rod tube and stick it in the conveyor for awkward items .

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

DG I got mine ......at Buy Force Travel Beach 11'6'' 6pc by Storm, Firetip Ranger Travel Spin by Storm, online from Tidal Tackle.

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Dayglo, Might buy suitable (No pun intended) suitcase at a "thrift" store.
Might buy cheap, customize to hold rods plus other tackle and gear.

Cat

tortoise100

Reaction score
I spent £60 on my current suitcase and now need to make sure i use it otherwise If I did the get a cheap one or modify one route my mrs would not be happy about the other one which would enevitably never get used .

On another note I thought the sending things down the awkward objects channel was expensive ? or to take your own rod on holiday is expensive ?
Maybe I read this in some mag about carp or catfish fishing but then I supose it comes down to how much extra laugage and weight you take.

My suitcase already has to take my snorkerling gear flippers,mask,bootys and big diving knife there is not much room for clothes already I supose a pair of shorts is cheap most places and in that case I should take the wet suit as well.:wh
A quick re-pack of the suit case when the mrs is not looking chuck out the clothes put in the fishing gear ,you know just the important stuff:D

tortoise100

Reaction score
Been and had hands on experiance of the shakspere IN2 range and though they look ok I would not want to risk a big fish on one .
The sales man said I should find out what the average size fish is at the location if it's the 10lb mark then should be ok but not for bigger it could just end up in a thousand peices.
They had a lovley full carbon spining rod but that was around £50 :confused:

tortoise100

Reaction score
Ok just had the fladen delivered today managed to get it for £8.50 posted !! on the bay.
First impressions are it looks like it could take some serious fish just what I am after very stiff up to 300grams casting weight but only 7ft.

Can't say that the rings look great quality but so long as they function ok that is not a problem.

Will be taking it to my local lake for some casting trials soon watch this space!

It has a screw on cap on the but section so my idea is to make a 2ft dowl to fit it and hopefully increase casting distance ,but not too much extra suitcase weight.

It is about three times as stiff as my 1.75lb's barbel rod so it must be pretty high .