Hello please read

bobbyf77

Reaction score
Hello please read, regarding Mitchell Reels

I am a new member to the Forum,

I am an avid Mitchell collector and service mitchell reels so if anybody wants there reel servicing please pm me also if you want to ask questions about your reels please pm me

Regards

Mitchell man

Last edited:

bobbyf77

Reaction score
You can't beat using, i have been servicing them for 3 years now and have most parts in stock. :)

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello Mitchellman and welcome to fm

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Mitchellman - I'm having a muck out and have 2 410's, about 10 spools and a bag of spares: if you'd like to acquire them, PM me with an offer.

Cheers...Neil

Bluenose

Reaction score
Welcome to the site mate, they're a decent bunch here.

Can you tell me why the original Mitchell Match was later replaced by that monstrosity which weighed about 2 stone, and why it was that Mitchell reels just seemed to disappear from the shelves almost overnight?

Not having a dig, just wondering what happened.

bobbyf77

Reaction score
Hello Ec,

With regards to why the Mitchell Match was replaced, was due to times moving on and the weight issue is beyond me you would have to ask the lads at mitchell sports. And Mitchell reels disappeared from the shelves quickly, in 1977 garcia had to sell the majority of there stock in 'mitchell' back to Ets Carpona & Pons and the primary focus was placed back on selling Mitchells but it was to late, on August 10 1978 garcia the main distributor for the Mitchell reel declared Bankruptcy. Restrucuting the distribution of the Mitchell reel was ineviatable.

So this is why mitchells quickly dissappeared

Regards

Mitchellman

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
WOw......the history of Mitchells would make great reading in an article.

Anyone up to it? i for one would be very interested.

preston96

Reaction score

Bluenose

Reaction score
Hello Paul,

There is a book out called " The Mitchell" what a fellow collectors has written and it is well worth a read.

The Whitefish Press: Wallace��Carney: The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel: 1939-1989

Regards

Mitchellman

I think the brummie was politely hinting if mybe you would give us a short history lesson mate.

I bought a mitchell match (blue one) about 1985 when they were going cheap, I later swapped it for a daiwa 1657. A few lads I know still have the RD full control reels.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

I dont want to pay :eek:..........thats why we use FM ;)...........come on mods, earn the pittance that "The Master" allows you and get around the copy right! :wh

Or maybe not.

Which pittance would that be? Have GM and Jacobs got a scam going?

bobbyf77

Reaction score
Hello all,

I shall write a little piece on the brief history tommorow, and those Rd full controls are very nice

Regards

Mitchellman

Bluenose

Reaction score
Hello all,

I shall write a little piece on the brief history tommorow, and those Rd full controls are very nice

Regards

Mitchellman

Excellent, pass it to one of the editors please mate, and they'll stick it up as an article!

flightliner

Reaction score
You can't beat using, i have been servicing them for 3 years now and have most parts in stock. :)

Hi mitchellman, welcome, so so true,still using mine ,can,t imagine going fishing without them, they handle just about anything within reason, but, in fairness i suppose its only fair to say that some of the more modern fixed spool reels can, in the right hands,just about hold their own against them!:rolleyes::wh

Keith M

Reaction score
Welcome to FM mitchellman,

I remember when Mitchell reels were one of the best on the market with perfect line-lay and reliable clutches compared to a lot of other reels at that time.

But nowerdays mine have been relegated to the back of an old drawer and I only use one of them very occasionally, paired with an old MKIV Avon split-cane rod, when I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

I don't think they can compete with my modern day reels but I still don't think I would ever part with my old Mitchell reels for nostalgic reasons; I don't think you can beat a bit of nostalga on occasion.

Welcome to the site, nice to have someone who can service these older reels.

Last edited: