Hi Guys.

mikeob

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Even though I've been using this website for a long time, I've only recently joined, although in hindsight I don't know why!!

I am hoping that someone will be able to help me; I've been attempting to make contact with Scottie Rods (S & J Tackle) so that I can have a lovely custom made cane rod made up for me, which I've wanted for a long long time.. However I cannot make contact in any way, shape or form!! Does anyone know if they still produce cane rods and why they struggle to answer their phone or e-mails? If anyone can recommend an alternative rod builder who will produce rods just as good, except of course Edward Barder, as I haven't won the lottery yet!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to Fishing Magic.

No idea why they don't reply, but you could also try:

Split Cane Rods - fine hand built cane rods by Paul Cook

Paul Cook makes some fine rods, but pretty close to Edward Barder's prices I'm afraid. His landing nets are out of this world too.

As an cheaper alternative have you considered buying an old Sharpes and having it refurbished? This would cut down the cost considerably, but is still going to run you at about 300 pounds.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello dougal and welcome to fm

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If they are still making Split Cane Rods you might have to send them a Telegram :wh

Welcome to the Marvels of FishingMagic.

We're a friendly bunch on the whole.

Feel free to ask any questions on to just join in on a current topic of conversation.

Tight Lines.