Top or Bottom on the pin

jcs

Reaction score
Hi All
Being new to using a centre pin i am looking for a little help.
Do you find it best to load your pin so the line or braid is come off the top of the reel or bottom.
Or is this just up to you and which way you yourself find the best.
It will be helpful to hear your point's of veiw on this.

Nigel (manu31999)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Nigel

Its a personal thing......like whether you have a line guards or take the handles off.

No doubt others will argue the advantages one way or the other but I like handles on my pins [though I rarely use them] and the line coming off the bottom because that means I wind forwards to recover line. After this long I just cannot train my fingers to wind the other way. Line guards in nearly all situations just get in the way.

Skippy

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot depends on what you are using the 'pin for.

Personally for normal trotting I have the line coming off of the bottom, however, if it is a very windy day then I'll have it coming off the top.

On those really windy days I also tape an extra rod ring between the reel and the normal first whipped rod ring.

When using the 'pin on the inside for either Carp or Barbel I don't think it matters much, as you are not casting that far and line control, (and therefore bait presentation) is much easier than at the end of say a 35 yard trot.

Personal preferrence really I suppose.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Bill and Virginia Rushmer are the only anglers I know that have the line coming off the top. They are also the only two pin anglers I know who don't Wallis cast! There's a reason for this. You can't Wallis cast (cast from the reel) if the line is coming off the top.
Wallis casting looks scary to the newcomer to pins but is a very simple and easily learned skill. If fishing rivers, you will want to learn to learn it so have the line coming off the bottom.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I agree. Wallis casting is not the black art that some might have you think it is.Its actually not that hard to learn to do reasonably competently....I just sort of found myself doing it one day as its the logical way to do things. I can't cast miles doing it but the places I fish I dont need to.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Off the bottom every time, only girls rell in backwards:)

If you are new to centre pins then try it the 'proper' way and you will soon get the hang of it. As S-Kippy said, don't fear the Wallis cast and don't try for the far bank on your first chuck as it will end in tears.

The more you use your pin the more accustomed to it you become. Fish close in or float fish off the rod top to start with and build up to a full blown Wallis cast to the middle. Once you've played a few decent fish on it you will grow to love your pin and start looking for your next one:D

quickcedo

Reaction score
Off the bottom for me too. Not sure what my casting method is, just stood in a field playing about until I found a technique that works for me. Certainly not going to win any distance comps. but I can drop a lead accurately at about 20yds, which fits my style. I love the tactile nature of fishing with a centre pin.

Keith M

Reaction score
Im a 'bottom' Man too :)

I've heard the arguments that: when the line is coming off the top the line may peel off the spool easier because there would be less of an angle between the line coming off the reel and the first rod ring and also that the line coming off the top would be less likely to wrap round the side of the spool on a windy day;
but I just couldn't get used to winding in the opposite direction to my fixed spools.

Plus as others have said you can't really use the Wallis Cast when the line's coming off the top.

There's no right or wrong way; I think it's up to the individual.