What's happening?

dezza

Reaction score
It's +3 deg C outside in Rotherham and the snow is thawing like mad.

At this rate it will be clear by tomorrow, certainly on the roads.

Is this a sign of global warming?

:eek:

Old Nick

Reaction score
Same story down here, all the snowmen we made yesterday have melted! and the blizzards predicted for last night failed to materialise, goes to show predicting the weather is not an exact science...... ask Michael Fish.

BTW Ron its Climate Change now not Global Warming

S

Scott Whatmore

+2 all day here and melting slowly, but we have ben having flurries. Nothing settling yet.

I don't know about climate change or global warming but thanks to Woody I've just insulated the whole loft for £27. It is roasting in here!

Reaction score
Car may get over the snow drift tomorrow...bet there will be no work though...can't see any teachers not turning up after another few days break - mind you there may be an urgent need for more exam invigilators!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
They were predicting a virtual ice storm for London yesterday so just about all the market traders in London stayed in bed today - and woke up at 10 to discover the mildest day for a fortnight. Not a happy bunny :(

dezza

Reaction score
There is only one thing I don't like the look of. It's that whacking great low pressure which is sitting in the middle of the Atlantic. If it comes in, it will mean warm wet air meeting cold dry air and down will come the slushy snow for a day or two before it changes to rain. And it will blow like hell.

That means the rivers will get full of snowmelt and salt which will stuff up the fishing good and proper.

Morespiders

Reaction score
So be it Ron, get rid of this compacted snow, take the pressure of the hospitals and the old folk trying to get about.:D

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Quite mild this morning though we have had an inch of snow overnight, but, weather warnings are out for the south west and South Wales tomorrow with the lovely prospect of high winds and heavy snow causing drifting. One benefit of all this snow is that the car stays on the drive thus delaying the onset of global warming :wh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Snow water melt into rivers is a triple whammy. Road salt, road muck plus very cold water, and sometimes extra silt make a 'snow broth' that puts the fish off the feed. But I've sometimes found that when it does fine down, with the fish not having fed for the duration of the cold snap, that the fishing is exceptional.

Talk of no further sport before the end of the season is premature. If we do get a thaw then expect no more than a week or two of disruption at most. In Feb 78 we had well over a foot of snow yet a rapid thaw with very warm rain 3 days later gave us a big flood yet bagging up 4 days later despite the high water. The river had icebergs less than a week before.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's all in the rivers Posh!

I have to say I'm a bit sceptical about the effect of "snow" melt in the big rivers. If it weren't two hours there and back I'd be out giving it a test.

S

Scott Whatmore

Did I do that? Must remember to send you the bill. :) Ah, will it be taxable?

It was your idea mate and although a very good one, and nice of you to share with us. It was muggins here who paid for it and toiled on his hands and knees putting it down. With my dodgy knees it is me that is paying for it again today!

It is still roasting in here! ;)

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

I don't knpw about it warming up, I get £25 a week if the temperature averages 0 deg C or below.

Yooooo Hoooooo!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ron, whose thermomabob will they use to get this average?