Paste on paste

quickcedo

Reaction score
I was womdering if anyone thinks fishing an egg based paste wrapped with water based paste has any benefits. My thinking is simple (coz I am simple) the water based paste breaks down quite quickly giving an initial scent trail. Then the egg based paste continues this scent trail, only slower. Worth messing about with or not?

S

Scott Whatmore

Good idea and well worth a go.

How are you going to fish this method ?

quickcedo

Reaction score
I kinda figured I would fish it as a single in the margins, but as with all things I'm open to suggestion. As for not understanding... Egg based paste is fairly stiff and breaks down slower than the softer water based paste. The theory is that this will give an extended leak off time. Sorry I didn't explain clearer. M

sagalout

Reaction score
Is this not just a small method ball? I seem to remember readinf somewhere that in south africa they used to wrap the main bait in some groundbait like substance, I got a feeling this method had the name of "pack bait".

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to reveal all.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Wrapping a pellet in paste is a long established and successful method for barbelling and even wrapping a paste around a lump of cheese is a good ploy for the wily chub. However, wrapping a paste around another paste might make for a very fragile hook-holding bait, I would suggest you do some and put it in the visible margins to see if it holds the hook ok. If it does work you will have a bait that is different but only trial and comparison will tell if it is any better.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Graham, good point!! Will do some field tests. done the usuall of jigging a hook and bait in a bucket of water which seemed to work ok, but there is no way to simulate the river. The whole point is paste baits seem to work better on my local river, but sometimes need to be left for some time. (very small head of Barbel) So I am lookng for a technique that can draw fish that is a bit different from everyone else, ie feeder, boilie/pellet. Really want the only food item to be the one with a hook in it.

---------- Post added at 04:41 ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 ----------

Mark

I was only teasing...I understand the theory but its just too technical for a simple duffer like me.I have made a conscious effort to keep things simple in recent years.

Skippy

Thats easy for you to say now I've explained!!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
In view of what you have said above paste is not the sort of hook bait you can leave in the river for any length of time, if you were thinking in terms of an hour or more I would have my doubts about it remaining on the hook.

Of course it depends on the flow and the paste but to make a very hard paste would seem to go against the reasons you use paste i.e. as a soft bait.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You might consider wrapping your 'double paste' bait in stocking 'cage' much like they do in France when Carp fishing venues with those nuisance Poisson Chats?

Dave Burr

Reaction score
I think that paste on paste is over complicating the issue. For a start you would have to have the consistency just right to enable the outer paste to be moulded around the inner one without them mixing. Were they to mix the bait would disintargrate at the rate of the outer paste.

There is no real advantage to be gained over wrapping paste around a boilie which, if home made, can have as much flavour or be as soft for high leakage, as you like.

Or, fish double boilie and put a different paste on each one.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Peter, I use the "stocking wrap" quite a bit for my paste fishing, and indeed do on occasion wrap this in more paste as I feel the wrapped paste doesn't break down as well.
Dave, yeah I would agree I am over complicating a very simple form of fishing, but without experimenting with things how do i know if the next "hair rig" is within my grasp or not. So I'll keep playing, and asking my fellow F.M ers and maybe between us we'll find something.

John Howard

Reaction score
Why not make things a bit easier by turning the egg based paste into hand rolled boilies. Boil for as short a time as possible say 30-60 secs to just put a very soft shell on the bait. This would make it far easier to wrap the paste round.

quickcedo

Reaction score
John, this is def. an option. I guess what I am trying to achieve is a continuous breakdown over a resonable period, ie 20 mins. I have in the passed used feeders with sponges in, and found the additional leak off quite effective, but I like the idea of tiny particals flowing from my hookbait. I have now had the chance to test this out on the river abeit on a near frozen and heavily flooded water. By messing about with the make up of the 2 pastes I have achieved something near the 20 min mark. So when I get a chance to fish in sensible conditions I will try it for real. I would just like to thanks everyone for there imput, some of the comments have made me really think about what I am trying to achieve