Scales

B

Brian Lewis

I am about to buy some electronic scales.

I've seen some advertised for ?29.99. They weigh in kilos or pounds up to 50lb. They are made by Lineaeffe, an Italian company. I've looked on the Lineaeffe website but, although they seem to be a decent size company, I couldn't see this product in their on-line catalogue.

They seem to be a reasonable price to me. Has anybody else bought these scales and, if so, what do they think of them?

B

Brian Lewis

If nobody has bought these can anybody recommend an inexpensive alternative? I can also buy Daiwa Cormoron electronic scales for ?35. Does anybody know anything about these?

R

Ross Turner

Why go for electronuc scales only more things to go wrong with them,Theres plenty of good dial scales on the market take a look at them.

D

David Will

I may be wrong but these digital scales work in 10th's.Therefore when in the pound mode do they not show weights like 10.7lb which you might assume is 10lb 7oz but it is in fact 10.07 lb which means nothing unless you have a calculator with you ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Some work in tenths, but the Salter Electro Samson ones I use work in pounds and ounces as well as kg's.

B

Brian Lewis

Many thanks for the input, guys.

Graham, how expensive are the Salter scales?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
They retail at about ?100 but you can pick them up for about ?80 if you shop around.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ron,
I take enough metracation when the nurses come and loosen my straps. ;o)

D

David Will

Ron whats the score in South Africa , are they like the Aussies and still using proper weights and measures or have they gone decimal?

G

Gerry Castles

I don't suppose for big fish it's gets any better than a set of 60lb Reuben Heaton scales but the joy of electronic scales is that on a boat that may be moving about a bit, the weight is so much easier to read.
If you bank fish most or all of the time and want the best its' definitely Reuben Heaton.

B

Brian Lewis

Thanks Gerry.

This subject of metric/imperial weights and such like is quite interesting (perhaps another thread?). For instance, everybody seems to refer to the weight of a fish in pounds and ounces not in metric terms and, as far as I've seen so far, all references to line are in terms of weight not diameter.

Just how much do anglers accept or adapt to changes of this type?

For my own part, I'm just a dinosaur and still refer to length in feet and inches (my kids - "What's that, dad?") and to the temperature in degrees fahrenheit. I also drink pints, not 500ml.

F

Frank Curtis

Australia has gone or is going metric. In fact if you watch Rex Hunt the prat always gives the weight in kilos and then says "that's about **lbs in the old scale".
Also I think they measure all distances in Kilometers.
I always thought the ozzies were reasonably sane but now I'm not so sure.

R

Ray Walton

I found that electronic scales are 'not' necessarly designed for water activities, so they are not waterproof. In fact if you drop them in water, they are damaged and will not work accurately or at all when dried out. I also had a set that had a disclaimer that they were only guaranteed accurate to within 4 oz either way. Ray

B

Barry Kneller

"I always thought the ozzies were reasonably sane but now I'm not so sure."

The only sane Ozzie I ever met was my Uncle Stan - and he was English!

W

Wag

I once went into a timber merchants and asked for some 2x2 for battens on a garage roof. The guy behind the counter said "its not 2"x 2" any more, its 50mm x 50mm now, how much do you want?"
Being a smart lad I do a quick conversion and ask for 10 lengths of 3metres.
"It only comes in 10 foot lengths" he replies.
If you use a rod I bet its between 9ft and 14ft long. If you use a pole I bet its between 10 metres and 14.5 metres long.
No wonder we're confused! :)
No wonder the kids are confused.

R

Robert Draper

Most countries are going metric, which means we'll have to accept it sooner or later. If not we'll face the situation where stuff is labelled in imperial for the UK market and a 50% surcharge added for the privelege of using good old pounds and ounces.

I prefer to drink in litres, that way I can go out and only have four beers but still enjoy myself...;-)

R

Ron Clay

South Africa went fully Metric in 1966. Australia were not far behind.

In my work I deal with distributors in both countries and none of them can even visualise lbs and ozs, let alone use them.

The metric system is the easiest system of all to understand. For example 1 kilometre is equal to 1000metres( 1000 strides). 1 litre of water has a mass of 1 kg. 1 cubic metre of water = 1000 litres and has a mass of 1 tonne.

The unit of viscosity is so simple, ie 1 cP is equal to water.

As an engineer I could not even image trying to do my job in the Imperial system. It would be retrogression of the worst kind!!

G

Gerry Castles

Oh come on Ron, a foot is a foot, a pound is a pound, a pint is a pint, now how simple can it get.