Storing mono hooklinks...

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Has anyone a good tip for storing short mono hooklinks, not many at one time, six or seven maybe, and no longer than 6 to 10 inches. I’ve tried a Gardner mini rig bin, but I don’t really get on with it, any other suggestions be it DIY or a readymade product are most welcome! Thanks in advance!

J K

Reaction score
I store mine in a small say 2 inches square, resealable plastic bag with the hook size, type, and breaking strain written onto the plastic bag.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I use pole rig winders Red M.

Thanks Peter!

tie em on the bank

Always one rod, fishing short sessions, I can’t be fiddling with hair loops etc. That’s homework im afraid.

I store mine in a small say 2 inches square, resealable plastic bag with the hook size, type, and breaking strain written onto the plastic bag.

Where do you buy those from? I love the bigger versions as goes, Zip Lok bags, I use them for bait or keeping stuff dry.

sagalout

Reaction score
A short peice of foam pipe lagging and some used staples.

Get a stapler and press the staples out as if you were stapling paper. Now open one end of the closed staple enough to get your rig terminating device (loop or swivel) into it. The other end open to about 45 degrees.

Make your rig, put the hook into the foam, wind around, put the staple through the rig end and the 45 degree end into the foam.

Self explanatory once you do it. If it aint shout and I'll do a piccie. Store the length of foam into a plastic chinese takeaway tub (eat the grub first). I can get two lengths side by side in one of our chinese tubs.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
A few of Korums tackle boxes do a rig board with pins solely for that purpose.

This one and there's a bigger version too, double the size and price.

I looked at those EC, but they come up to nearly Laptop size, I love the concept though, but it wouldn’t be practical for me, maybe if it were half as big.

I had thought of putting some foam in Nash needle box as one solution, i think chub do a mini rig wallet which might be worth looking at.

sagalout

Reaction score
If you want a bag type approach how about a cheap photo album or CD wallet binder?

Bluenose

Reaction score
It's a fair point, I've got the larger version it doesn't lend itself to mobile fishing and is a bit bulky. If am not mistaken am sure you could buy the hookboards on their own? I used to use a cornflake box cut up inside sealable bags many years ago.

Sea fishing shops often do small rig wallets. You see them on the front of sea fishing magazines all the time.*

*probably never again now*

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
I just prefer making on the bank less room taken up and I can tie to condition and rules

noknot

Reaction score
A length of pipe lagging and an empty fox mints tub, wind your rig around the tube and place in the tin, job done!

Oh make the lagging 5mm longer than the can, so the plastic lid will keep all in place!

Last edited:

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
A short peice of foam pipe lagging and some used staples.

Get a stapler and press the staples out as if you were stapling paper. Now open one end of the closed staple enough to get your rig terminating device (loop or swivel) into it. The other end open to about 45 degrees.

Make your rig, put the hook into the foam, wind around, put the staple through the rig end and the 45 degree end into the foam.

Self explanatory once you do it. If it aint shout and I'll do a piccie. Store the length of foam into a plastic chinese takeaway tub (eat the grub first). I can get two lengths side by side in one of our chinese tubs.

Cheers Sagalout!

It's a fair point, I've got the larger version it doesn't lend itself to mobile fishing and is a bit bulky. If am not mistaken am sure you could buy the hookboards on their own? I used to use a cornflake box cut up inside sealable bags many years ago.

Sea fishing shops often do small rig wallets. You see them on the front of sea fishing magazines all the time.*

The cardboard with cuts in, I think I’ve seen a similar thing done with a piece of those mats campers/walkers sit on to stop getting piles, you know those square mat thingys? Same stuff as pipe lagging.As for space yea, it’s very limited, I mainly use one of those Cotswold stalking buckets or a Barbour bag, so I don’t really have the space for anything other than the bare essentials. Dam shame those Korum boxes arnt smaller, im sure they would sell rather well.

*probably never again now*

The cardboard with cuts in, I think I’ve seen a similar thing done with a piece of those mats campers/walkers sit on to stop getting piles, you know those square mat thingys? Same stuff as pipe lagging. As for space yea its tight, I mainly use one of those Cotswold stalking buckets or a Barbour bag, so I don’t really have the space for anything other than the bare essentials.

I just prefer making on the bank less room taken up and I can tie to condition and rules

Beep beeeeeep!! You have this way about you cakey! I find it unnerving; you pop up with a mere sentence, which somehow seems to provoke/angle me in to a long and drawn out reply! :D

The hooklinks are only for my mini method feeder fishing, and usually only 4inches long, on occasion a bit longer; I only use one hooklink material 6lb-5lb fluoro, so there’s never much variation really. When it comes to hook sharpness I’m verging on anal, so I get through a few hooklinks pretty fast. You don’t really have much to play with if you need to change a hook on 4inches of hooklink, so always carry a little arsenal of them ready to change, baited up with fake corn, or maggots. The later was the main problem with the mini rig bin, the baits keep getting caught as you screw the lid on and the hooks rip the foam. Just as it getting dark I can’t be making hair loops, its fiddly enough at home as it is. A bigger rig bin perhaps? Float fishing I never ever use a hooklink always straight through. So there isn’t much chopping and changing on my part, to not warrant doing it at home. :w

A length of pipe lagging and an empty fox mints tub, wind your rig around the tube and place in the tin, job done!

Oh make the lagging 5mm longer than the can, so the plastic lid will keep all in place!

The pipe insulation sounds good in various forms; especially in a tin, I’m a sucker for a nice tin as it happens, when I was younger I used to have golden virginia tobacco tins as tackle boxes, it must stem from that. Mind you its dam shame those Korum boxes arnt smaller, i like the pin bord thingy very much. And there magnetic hook boxes that come with it...

Last edited:

J K

Reaction score
Where do you buy those from? I love the bigger versions as goes, Zip Lok bags, I use them for bait or keeping stuff dry

I bought mine from Partners now called Rymans I think, or any office stationers. They were in a pack of about 300. They weren't expensive. I use an overhead projector pen to write on the bags. It's like an indelible felt tip. I then store them in a rig bag that has pins for rigs on one side and plastic wallets on the other.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
try a loop tier ...........................How to Make a Hair Rig

How wonderful is that! I’ve never seen one of those before, and the people I’ve complained to about tying hair loops should have known better! My god and they all be the same size! Fking revelation! Cheers Cakey!

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

I bought mine from Partners now called Rymans I think, or any office stationers. They were in a pack of about 300. They weren't expensive. I use an overhead projector pen to write on the bags. It's like an indelible felt tip. I then store them in a rig bag that has pins for rigs on one side and plastic wallets on the other.

I suppose any kind of craft shop or stationers will have them. I can think of few other uses as well.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Something like this any good mate?

This one is 19cm x 20cm.

That looks very promising, even got some extra pockets for bits and pieces, mind you I do like the idea of a board with pins, these chub rig pouches look rather good Chub Fishing - Products - Luggage - Utility Pouches - Rigger Pouches but size wise we are getting in to Korum tackle box territory, again shame they weren’t a little smaller.

YouTube- Tackleuk Preston Innovations Hooklength Box these are the best hooklength boxes on the market, you can store loads of them in one box from three inches to as long as you want, brilliant.

Graham I’ve had a little dig around and the Preston hook length boxes looked ideal, perfect in fact, especially the smaller of the two, only trouble is there’s a 6inch minimum and some of mine are 4 inches, sometimes even shorter. Otherwise they would have been perfect.

I may just try a bigger rig bin, but a small pin borad would be nice, i just cant find a really compact one.

Bluenose

Reaction score
RM I've got a small matchmans hook wallet from years ago. It's got a plastic case outside and is shaped like a narrow wallet. Inside are maybe 8 clear plastic wallets, say 10cm x 5cm and in each there are plastic hook boards which have little holes every 0.5 cm, the length and breadth, and plastic pegs that grab your hook loop.

I'm knackered if I can remember where I bought it but such beasts do exist.

EDIT: And theres this quarter way down, layflat hook wallet.

Last edited: