Oliver Kite

Reaction score
I have just found some very rare footage of some of the late Oliver Kite's programmes on youtube.
I used to watch his programmes as a nipper and it's great to see that someone has posted them on the youtube site for all to see.
There is the link (below) to one of the films, there are others there too, as you will see if you visit the webpage.
YouTube- A tribute to Oliver Kite Pt.1 of 8 - Introduction

dezza

Reaction score
Thanks for that Richard.

Yes I remember Ollie Kite and his programmes very well. He was one of those great people who inspired many to go fly fishing.

It was such a shame about his early death.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
How atmospheric is that? Those sort of programmes wouldn't get a look in on modern TV schedules, such a shame that we have become a nation of instant gratification that can't appreciate the world about us and the pleasures it contains.

slime monster

Reaction score
Thank you for that Richard,there are lessons to learned by modern angling TV presenters watching that delightful footage,no rock music or inane commentary just a guy that knows what he is doing and is totally concentrating on the job ,and what a man he was .

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yes, thank's for that Richard. Oliver epitomises everything that is good in angling. Not just the catching of fish, but taking the time to look at all that surrounds us whilst by the water.

Jack Hargreaves was another such soul.

Reaction score
If you go to Youtube and search for 'Oliver Kite' you'll find more video clips there. There's one which might be of particular interest to Peter Jacobs, where Olly visits Salisbury. Watching the video myself, I was amazed at just how much things have changed over the past 40 years (roads, cars etc).
I have also just found out that Olly lived opposite that very well known and respected river keeper Frank Sawyer, in Netheravon. Just up the road (literally) from where I believe Peter lives now.
There is also a video of Olly fishing at Two Lakes fishery in Crampmoor, Nr Romsey. Fascinating to watch.

dezza

Reaction score
Ah Two Lakes. I have always wanted to fish there, but I believe that now the fishery doesn't exist. It was the very first small put and take still water fisheries of all and comprised not just of two lakes.

It was created by Alex Berhendt, a German POW and fish breeder by trade who when released from the POW camp at the end of WW2, decided to stay here as he liked the English so much!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Richard,

Thank you so much for digging that out, I really loved watching that.

You are right, my home is just downstream of Upavon, and I know well both the houses where Olly and Frank lived. Frank's son and grandson still live in my village, and still sell Frank's excellent PTN's

When Oliver Kite died I think he left a hole that is yet to be filled in Southern Chalk Stream fishing, and we also lost a great Countryman and a true Gentleman.

What a pity that so little of his work remains today . . . . . . truly sad!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Richard,

Thank you so much for digging that out, I really loved watching that.

You are right, my home is just downstream of Upavon, and I know well both the houses where Olly and Frank lived. Frank's son and grandson still live in my village, and still sell Frank's excellent PTN's

When Oliver Kite died I think he left a hole that is yet to be filled in Southern Chalk Stream fishing, and we also lost a great Countryman and a true Gentleman.

What a pity that so little of his work remains today . . . . . . truly sad!

If anyone wants to collect these lovely films to watch on their DVD player, you may like to know that you can do this with the latest version of Real Player.

Having made sure you have the latest version of RealPlayer, find the vid you want on YouTube, then hover your cursor over the video window. A tab appears at the top right saying 'Download this Video'. I think the default is for the download to go straight to your My Videos in Windows.

If you're really clever, you can then use a DVD burning app to assemble them all into a DVD

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps even better than the Real downloader option is this Firefox browser add-on -

Update 4.7 - Video DownloadHelper

It allows you to download virtually any video or music clip (except BBC iPlayer stuff) on the Web and keep it as an .flv video file or mp3 audio. And it's free. Only for Firefox users, though.

PS - Just before Christmas, at the request of an elderly gentleman I used to know and fish with in the Salisbury area and who now lives abroad, I downloaded the eight Kite movies, then used the free DVD Flick - http://www.dvdflick.net/ - video file converter and DVD builder to make him a DVD of the clips (plus a few others in which he had expressed an interest) and duly got the thing way to him as a Christmas present.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As a mac user, is there anything I can use to download and burn these videos to disc? Running mac OS X (10.5.8) pentium processor and safari browser.

Reaction score
Buy a PC!!:D:D

:eek:I wouldn't dream of it Colin:eek:
Honestly, since buying the mac using the computer has actually been a pleasure. When I remember all the times in the past when I've spent hours and hours trying to fix problems with various windows platforms!!!
I just wanted something that worked and now I have :D

I've actually managed to download the Oliver Kite programmes now and burnt them to a DVD using a program from keepvid.