Snag removal

P

Philip Inzani

This is something that really gets me angry. Why do an increasing number of fisheries seem intent on removing what seems like every twig from there waters leaving basically a goldfish bowl to fish in. I thought part of the fun was trying to read the water and sneaking up to some unsuspecting fish in a snag and trying to put a bait to it. I mean what is it coming to ?
...thankfully this only seems to be happening at Carp fisheries at the moment but I can see a time when this is going to start spilling into other areas of the sport as well...imagine if your club suddenly decides that the over hanging trees and snags in your local Chub river constitute to dangerous fishing and so call the EA in to do their dredging magic!

Am I wrong to be thinking like this ?

S

Stewart Bloor

Actually Philip, I was thinking along the same lines just the other day. I'm currently fishing a totally overgrown and wild little river in Leicestershire.It's practically untouched by anglers (or club members with saws, scythes and the like !!).
I can understand a certain amount of work needs to be done, but it must be sensitive and in keeping with the habitat.
PS Read your letter in CF, why not start a thread, it was interesting.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Philip

You only have to point people back to the destruction of the Great Ouse in the seventies by the dredgers. I was only a kid but I remember **** Walker, Stoney and co up in arms about it. The river was ruined as a premier chub fishery.

C

Cakey

I think us carpmen need our snags.when was the last time i caught a carp without fishing to some sort of feature i just cant remember.

L

Leon Foreman

Unthinkable, why would anyone want to remove snags. Not only do they provide shelter but also act as catchment areas for the food that fish feed off. Remove them and they whole nature of the lake, river etc. changes. Ask anyone that has to fish in a feuturless lake or river how difficult it is. The only thing this will achieve is overbaiting with groundbait to actually get the fish to come closer to where one fish. They wont ly in open waters waiting for some hookbait to fall under their noses

M

Malcolm Bason

As much as I disagree with the idea of snag removal, I think its to make it easier to land the fish, i.e. reducing the risk of losing the fish on some underwater snag - but what happens then to the challenge offered to our sport? I see each venue I fish as a challenge snags and all - and thats how it should be! Thats what makes fishing so exciting.

M

Mark Kelly

I also prefer snags to be left alone where possible, but the problem with snags is that too many inexperienced/lazy/idiotic anglers fish too close or actually in snags just to get a run, sometimes because they know no better, often because they aren't good enough to catch Carp from anywhere else in the lake!

How often do you see people cast at a snag, set up the swinger/hanger, switch on the alarm, and then retire to the bivvy for some sleep/brew-up etc.? If you are going to snag-fish, you must stay alert and on the rods, you must be fishing tackle that is up to the task of hit-and-hold tactics! There is no excuse for allowing a fish to reach a snag your are fishing to. The possibility of leaving a fish trailing (broken) tackle or becoming tethered is unthinkable, especially when you are directly responsible for same.

My opinion on snag removal : leave them in place wherever possible, depending on who is fishing your water, the Carp need somewhere they can retreat to. But, if you are in any doubt take them out!! I would rather try to catch warier Carp from open water than risk having them damaged in snags by unthinking anglers.

Cheers, Mark (Dublin)