caring for maggots

A

Alan Areskog

could anybody give me some advice about looking after maggots.What happens is that i buy my bait on saturdays for fishing on sundays.maggots are put in fridge as soon as i get back home.but on getting them out of fridge next day they seem to be sweating and sticking together.As far as i know all bait is delivered fresh every day and kept in fridges until required.the only thing that i have noticed is that once out in the sun they seem to stop sweating and look like they did when i bought them.

R

Richard Drayson

Alan,
Make sure that the ventilation holes in your baitbox lids are clear and that your maggots have plenty of room to move around. ie: Don't cram your box full to the top.
Other than that, try adding some corn meal or proprietry groundbait to soak up any excess sweat.

D

darryl rogers

try putting them in a plastic bag squeeze all the air out tie the bag up pop in the fridge,when you get up in the morning open the bag put in bait box they will look dead at this point but in a half hour they will be wiggling as if you just brought them you can keep maggots four days like this

A

Alan Areskog

richard.
thanks for the advice i shall check the lids on my bait boxes to see if holes are clear.(this could well be the answer)

A

Alan Areskog

darryl.
never heard of this method before. but i shall give it a go this coming weekend.thanks.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alan,
When the bait arives at the shop it's usually in sawdust and sweating already, to prepair my bait this is the steps I take:

Use a shallow tray for these steps,

1) Riddle the bait removing the sawdust.

2) Put a handfull of maize meal in and rub the bait through it removing the sweat and any remaining saw dust and riddle again.

3) Put the maggots on the riddle a small amount at a time and throw away the dead ones and skins left on the riddle.

4) Place the bait into a large tub (I use a 3 pint box for each pint of bait) and put a handfull of maize meal in each box.

5) Put the boxes in the fridge turned up high without the lids on for about an hour, then put the lids on (if you put the lids on straight away the box will have condensation produced by the bait which makes the maze meal stick to the bait and this can kill them or make them float).

6) The night before going I put a table spoon of powdered flavour in after riddling them again and some fresh maize meal.

7) When at the venue keep the bait in a coolbag only removing enough to get started and top up as you need this keeps it as fresh as possible and you can put it back in the fridge if you don't use it all.

Hope this helps.

A

Alan Areskog

rodney.
Thanks for all the info could be very helpful,in sorting out my question.
By the way love the picture.Now that is what you call a rod rest.
Alan.