Match Anglers

R

Richard Baker

Has any one ever thought that match anglers targeting large amounts of what are technically a venue's 'nursery' fish is detrimental to our sport. Before I start I'd like people to know I was a match angler for about 5 years before changing to fly and specimen fishing.

Even with todays superb keepnets etc catching large amounts of small fish surely does a lot of harm to a venue. Do these shoals regroup properly after the shock of capture, the large extent of scale damage from being weighed and handled, do matchmen really wet their hands before unhooking every 2-4 ounce roach they swing to hand? The towel on most matchman's sidetray covered in fishes protective slime wiped off hands would suggest not. The state of many of our naturally predominant silver fish match waters in this country is surely a reflection on this. The Trent, the Severn etc previously fantastic roach match waters in the seventies and eighties etc. How often do we here tales from older anglers about the huge weights of silver fish these waters used to produce in matches. Not anymore! Although cormorants and other factors have deffinately contributed to the downfall of these venues (now targeted for their specimen fish) what part has the match angler catching the younger generations of Roach and bream done?

Could this be why venues with much hardier species such as Carp with a much greater average size of fish are now the usual venue of the matchmen. the change in these waters from 10 years ago suggests that Carp withstand the rigours of being caught quite well. This is shown by the way that these waters used to be places where people bagged up on 1-2 lb carp. Now Grown on upper singles and low doubles are the target.

The match angler has much to learn from the specimen angler and the steps he takes to ensure fish are looked after on the bank and on being returned to the water.

What are other peoples views.