Is this the best reel ever made?

R

Ron Clay

I was cleaning my 6 year old Shimano Stradic last night and what struck me is the fact that this reel, although it has been subject to the most brutal punishment over 6 years, runs a smoothly as if it were brand new. I bought the reel on impulse in Warwick when they first came out. I cost me over ?100.00 if I remember.

I am now in the market for another of these reels as my Shimano 4010 is starting to creak a little.

Are the latest Stradics as good as the origional? I have heard that they are not as well made. Is this true?

D

Dave Barringham

I have had problems with both Shimano reels I have owned. One was a 2500 match (one of the early models) which ground to a halt after about 18 months, and the other was a GTM3000 which expired after a similar length of time, and which was used for feeder fishing on the Trent. No more Shimanos for me! I have found them utterly unreliable and expensive.

B

Birds Nest

I've found them faultless, I've got 6 in various sizes.. and I'm hopeless at looknig after them..

C

Cheese Paste

I am slowly changing all my reels to Shimanos. Simply the best but I don't know much about the Stradics

C

Chris Bishop

I've done all kinds of stuff to mine and they're still going, only things that go wrong is the spools are made of cheapie plastic and they come loose and wobble on the spindle, which can knack the line lay and the handles also work loose which is a bit of a pain.

G

Gerry Castles

Unbeatable, the bees knees, product and service second to non. The only non Shimano reels in mu possession are two fixed spool ABUs, the rest (about 15) from 80lb class boat reels downwards are Shimano. Didn't we do this one quite recently?

C

Carp Angler

ditto, unbeatable,especially the Stradic.

2500 match
sedona
sahara
stradic fg4000
2 specimen x (? age?)
3 original 3500 front drag baitrunners
3 5010's
3 8010's
3 10k's
tld 15(2), 20 and 25's(2)

that's all the ones I remember and use.
Might have some more older ones knocking about.

I get the BTR's serviced every few years, but that's it.

B

Birds Nest

Rik, how often do you get the "what on earth can you need another one of those for" comments from the other half ?

P

Paul Williams

BN......he never tells her!......i sold my 3 original 3500's..fool!! i reckon they are a better reel than my 5010's!
I used Mitchel 300's and abu's for years and modern reels blow them away, Shimano and a few Daiwa reels are superb.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I have the model before latest Stradic 3000gtm and it is quite simply the best reel I have ever owned. Apart from perhaps my 5010 btrs......

S

Steve King

I have heard that some recent Shimano fixed spool reels are prone to premature wear from my local tackle shop. Personally though I've had no probs with my two Shimanos. However in my humble opion the Abu Suveran is simply the best fixed spool on the market. It is a reel made up to a standard not down to a price. I still have (and occasionally use) a Cardinal 44X that I bought new when I was just out of short trousers back in the 70s. One new bale spring and a drop of oil & grease has been all that's required to keep it in tip top condition. By the way an engineer friend reckoned that the gears in the Abu were much better cut than Shimano ones.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I have two Shimano's a Sedona 4000 GTE for feeder fishing and a Power Aero match HS for float, both are excellent especially the GTE with it's fighting drag.

R

Ron Clay

You're right about the fighting drag Rodney. One of the greatest innovations ever, if you like me play a fish off the clutch.

At a pinch you can also use this feature like a baitrunner.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Exactly Ron, great for when pouring out a coffee or having a bite to eat, giving that extra couple of seconds to react before saying goodbye to the rod.

B

Birds Nest

I've got a Power Aero match HS too, its lovely... Oddly the spools are the same size as my 5010 Baitrunners's...

M

Martin Wright

I've been using shimanos for a number of years and they're generally very good.

I have found that on several occasions the clutch tightened up during a long session particularly if the reel goes in the water.

Recently got a Daiwa SSII front drag which was a mistake. Handle is so free running it's a tangle machine. Anybody want one ?