Rigs Page Library

J

jim barnes

wWas wondering if any one can give me some advice on the method float,
bought one last week to try with disastarous result rigged up 12lb main line. 6lb hook length
cast not to easy soon as it hit the water it was hit fiercly and snapped straight away . esulting in lost float.
what did i do wrong?? avice anyone.

P

Paul Williams

Jim,
I think that to get an answer you need to tell more about your set up....12lb mainline should have been up to the job...unless it was old.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jim,
how did you have the float attached to the mainline?

J

jim barnes

setup for the method float pretty much the same set up as a normal flot thread through the eye shot either side with 2ft hook length
main line 12 lb reasonably new
6lb bottom

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jim,
It could have been the shot that cut or weakened the line, I've seen these floats set up on a loop but I don't like the idea of this as the fish can be tethered if the line breaks above the loop. I'd use a couple of beads either side of the float stopped by a couple of rubber float stops, or sliding stop knots.

J

jim barnes

Rodney
Will give your suggestion a try
on reflection i think there could have a decent size topping and i think it might of startled it causing a wicked reaction to the method.
cheers any tips as to a decent float for when they are topping something for a bit of distance

I

Ian Whittaker

Have a look for some Nash Flatliners they'll give you distance.

J

jim barnes

ian
thanks for that will have a look for one though doubt if my tackle shop will have one
not up to it
cheers

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jim,
What bait are you using and feeding, how far out are you fishing, how big are the fish your after and how deep is the water. These all effect the size of float and setup you'd use.

J

jim barnes

rodney
corn,paste, pellet, sometimes bread,
carp mainly 5lb to 15lb about10 to 15metres out.
from 7ft to 11ft

D

david lilleyman

try a candle, pull the wick out and thread powergum through its a good weight for casting and floats nice too

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jim,
Sorry I didn't get back to you but I missed the reply untill David brought the thread back up.

Try using a large waggler or one of the heavy floats designed for slider fishing with the baits your using these can be fished at any depth.

Reaction score
have you tried the new splasher waggler
i tried it out last week and found it great
it splashes when it hits the water but
it does not sink very far in the water
its great for any water from 5ft to 20ft
as it does not plunge very deep and does not scare the carp .
ps have you tried putting a short length
of pole elastic from your main line to
the swivel then tie your hook to the swivel
if they hit you hard the elastic should
soften the pressure.

R

Rich Halliday

HI EVRY1, IM A NEW MEMBER AND STILL LEARNING THE ROPES.PERSONALY I THINK THAT THE METHOD FLOAT IS A DEADLY SETUP IF FISHED RITE AND IN THE RITE SITUATION. HOWEVER IF DISTANCE IS THE MAIN FACTOR, THEN TRY A NASH BULLET MARKER FLOAT. I USE SHIMANO AERLEX 8000s AS MY MAIN REELS AND CAN CAST OVER 80 YARDS WITH EASE. NOT MANY PEOPLE FISH THAT FAR OUT, ESPECIALY WITH A FLOAT SET UP, AND I GARANTEE THERES ALOT MORE FISH OUT AT THAT RANGE.

Pete Watts

Reaction score
When surface fishing with bread and dog biscuit, using bubble and surface controller floats, do you have any suggestions for connecting the main line and the hook line to the said floats?

Pete Watts

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Most controller floats are used as sliders and are not fixed as such. Tie the hooklength to the main line loop to loop and trap the controller float between two or more silicon float stops.

Leslie Thomas

Reaction score
Have you looked to see if there are any sharp edges on your method float, where the line can catch and cut under casting pressure?

curt wardil

Reaction score
does any one own a tackle shop or no anything bout delkim ev plus if so can you please let me no if you can use the delkim rx pro reciever and the delkim nightlight swingers many thanks if anyone can help could u email me and let me no mcfc_dave@hotmail.co.uk thanks