Betain ???

R

Rodney Wrestt

I was watching some old videos last night and in one the presenter put some Betain powder onto his sweetcorn (he was tench fishing), he only used about half a teaspoon full of the stuff and went on about how good it was. I also remember articles used to mention it quite regularly. So now to my questions for all of you in the know, what is it, how much should be used and on what baits, what other species if any like it and how much does it cost and who produces it, are there different strengths and is it only made in powder form?

S

Steve Clements

Oh dear BN! I also went down that route and @ ?8 for 50 grammes never went back.Chapmans of Twickenham now sell it over the counter and at more realistic prices.You do only need a little to your mix.
Anyone want a bulk order and if enough are willing I will contact a man who can and did!....I've now got 5 kg's of the stuff!
Paid around 40 to 50 quid.
Dont stuff the bellies of the rip-off merchants as they only re-package, as others have stated before.

D

David Will

Is it betaine or is it Finnstim ? can anyone tell the difference ? Why do some swear by it , why do some think it is a waste of time ?
Why is Nutrabaits betaine pure white , why is Richworth brown , why does Nashy prefer liquid Betaine ?
Is using a sweetner in bait and betaine at the same time defeating the point ?
Does anyone know.

A

andrew jackson

The guy selling it on Ebay is asking ?4.50 for 50g. Marriages of chelmsford charge ?6.95 for 500G. They take orders over the phone, and will arrange delivery, at a price of course. I have found them to be very helpfull and profesional, they have even sourced ingredients for me that they dont stock, and charged me no extra for their troubles. I dont know what the postage would be on 500g, as I have only ordered 25kg sacks off them. Postage with a very reliable courier for 25k cost me ?9, but that is from Chelmsford to North of Manchester. Their phone number is :01245- 269663
Oh yes by the way, there are various brands of betain, the one stocked by Marriages is called betafin.

R

Rodney Wrestt

David & Andrew,
My head hurts now....I just want to know what it is and what it does now you've got more questions than me, what are the different types (Finnstim? / betafin?) I'm falling behind in this class :eek:) is it a sweetener then? is the liquid concentraited like the usual flavours? what bait do you add it too?

C

Cakey

Rodney
E-mail me your address and i'll post you some betain.

K

Kevan Farmer

Watch out on eBay! Just lately stuff has been put on their at higher than the new price in the shops??? People are just not checking out prices before they put a bid in for kit.

Mind you, I like the prices that Match Aerials are going for because I've got two of them. Not selling anytime soon though, I use them. I am after another Speedia though and they are usually nice and cheap...still.

Kevan

D

David Will

I found this.

'Betaine is a naturally occurring pro-vitamin found in a wide variety of plant and animal species.

Extracted from sugar beet molasses, betaine is a high value by-product of sugar production.'

Therefore would buying a gallon of mollassses from an animal feed supplier for less than a fiver and lasting a year or more is the most economical way ?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
Thanks very much, you are a gent......no mater what everyone else says :eek:) I'm begining to think that it's mostly carpers who use it in their mix, would this be correct. If not what else is it used in or on (apart from sweetcorn as in the video).

David,
Do you use it or are you one of the people you said thought it ineffective?

Rik,
Do you use it or molasses as suggested?

C

Carp Angler

I use betaine when applicable and I also use molasses.

Betaine, like most baits and additives, is about one tenth the price that bait companies charge.

A

andrew jackson

Extracted from sugar beet molasses, betaine is a high value by-product of sugar production.'

So if the betain is extracted from molasses, and it is a high value by-product. How can molasses be the chapest supply of betain? Because when you think about it, the betain has been extracted!

D

David Will

Not saying it is Andrew mine was a rhetorical question , as were my earlier ones regarding the colour variations , the different names and the preferences some have for liquid or granulated betaine.I have used betaine in boiled baits and pastes and as a dip having first dissolved it in something like Metamino.I do not bother if I am using mollasses in say particles or groundbaits as I was always of the opinion that betaine was just a very good but pricey alternative to sweetners.I did not know until today where it comes from , never thought about it ! but had for some reason assosciated it with fishmeal duuurrr.This harks back to when it was first mass marketed and I remember reading that it occurred naturally in shellfish and the like. I had not as Rick alludes to thought to check if the mollasses I use which is the Horse feed stuff was beet or not as I assumed the animal feed stuff was all beet derived ?
As a matter of interest the levels people use the stuff varies from person to person. For example I believe Ian Welch uses it vastly greater levels than is suggested on the 'box'.Also Rick you say you use it 'when appropriate' , when is that ?
For the record my Tench fishing has not suffered for the use of it :)

C

Cakey

Rodney I never used it in my mix,I used to roll and boil me boilies then just before I froze them I rolled them in the betaine.

C

Cakey

Rik
I dont know where you get your molasses from but I was in Marriages of Chelmsford and they had 5litres for ?4 is that cheap ??

C

Carp Angler

Cakey,
?4 is par for the course.

David,
when appropriate means when ever I can dissolve it in something.
So plain pellet = no
errrr, everything else = yes
I also use it at inflated levels.

D

David Will

Thanks Rik , BN I was under the impression that overloading was not possible but without wishing to steal his thunder I understand the Gibbinson Brothers believe it can be and in fact may be a deterrant when used in high doses.