Attack on anglers in Ward End Park,Birmingham

M

Mark Lond

Check out this link http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/2002_july/news_jul7.htm
for details of a horrific assault on 2 anglers fishing in Ward End Park, Birmingham. The 2 anglers were set upon by a gang of Asians armed with axes, knives and cricket bats in a vicious and motiveless attack and severely injured. Anyone with any knowledge of this should contact Queen's Road CID on 0121 3226080. remember,next time it could be one of us.

K

Kevan Farmer

I saw this reported on the local news and was horrified on two counts. first the obvious that a couple of anglers had been attacked in this way - baseball bats and axes. The gang were obviously out purely to attack somebody, anybody who too their fancy. Secondly it's an obvious racist attack but nobody will say it. This sort of thing fuels racism in this country - which I abhor.

Kevan

G

Gerry Castles

First I deplore violence, there can be no justification for an attack of this nature, but do remember that this is the British National Party reporting and they are not noted for being even-handed in the way that they see things. Often vital bits of a story are left out, in order to paint a picture precisely the way it suits their particularly obnoxious brand of politics.

K

Kevan Farmer

I first saw the report on Central Teletext and then on BBC local tv news. Surely they would not just take the BNP word for it??? But what am I saying? They do take the word of the anti angling groups and the swan rescue organisations at face value...

Thanks Gerry, I had no idea it was a BNP report. I'd very much like to get to the botom of it.

Kevan

G

Gerry Castles

Kevan, the link that Mark has given is to the BNP website. I'm sure there is some truth in the story and I'm sure the police are interested, but you can also be sure the story on the BNP site has been over elaborated.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Gerry,
The B.N.P. site are using a report printed by the 'Birmingham Sunday Mercury' (July 7th). So the story isn't theirs and has been on various other sites. I don't know where the first report appeared but they are quoting from somewhere else.

C

Chris Bishop

Sounds like a police appeal for witnesses issued via the local media.

K

Kevan Farmer

Whatever the truth of this story is it certainly leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Kevan