MIDDLETON ANGLING SOCIETY

G

Gary Leigh

I AM CLUB SEC OF MIDDLETON ANGLING SOCIETY (NEAR MANCHESTER). I HAVE BEEN TOLD WE ARE ONE OF THE OLDEST (est 1845)ANGLING SOCIETYS. I HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL MINUTE BOOKS.
THE QUESTION I WOULD LIKE TO ASK IS WHO IS THE OLDEST ANGLING SOCIETY

W

Wendy Perry

hey Gary i live 5 mins from Middleton i am a member of shaw angling and want some details of midd anglers i go on mertle rd fishing now but would like to become a member what do i do ?

Sorry to jump in on your thread :eek:)

R

Ron Clay

Wendy, I didn't know you lived only 5 minutes from Middleton. I have a good riend who lives there. Everyone knows him as the "Black Monk of the Shire".

It's Nick Melling of course who has done excellent work in years past for the NASA.

The oldest Angling Society? You could be right about Middleton Gary, although I have an idea that Nottingham Piscatorials might be getting on that way.

By the way Gary do not use caps lock when replying to this website. It tends to make people think that you are shouting.

G

Gary Knowles

Ron, I know the monk as well (Nick), but have lost touch with him.

Gary/Ron - if your still in contact with Nick ask him to drop me a line, it would be good to here from him again. Last I heard he had grown out of carp and was fishing for 'proper' fish...

R

Ron Clay

The last time I fished with the Monk was in Warick were we hammered the small jacks on plugs. I have a photo of him dressed in his habit, something he is always trying to get out of. :eek:)

G

Gary Leigh

Gary
i will give nick a bell sat morning and tell him u where asking. (wot are proper fish eels?????

G

Gary Leigh

Ron
if you could please send me a copy of that photo of nick i am sure a few mates would love to see it.
Thanks for the info on Nottingham Piscatorials.

C

Carp Angler

I also thought that Middleton was the oldest club in the country, but I was recently told that the Red Spinners were older, how true this is I don't know.

P

Phil Hackett

I thought the Monk was the oldest angling institution in Britain?
One thing I do know is Nicky boy is perhaps one of the few anglers who would know which club is. :O)

A

andrew jackson

I cant belive you all know Nick! I also find it hard to belive Ron has any good freinds :) He didnt grow out of carp fishing Gary, he just couldnt catch any. So I think he has set his sights for something a little less taxing. Nick once took to a boat in the middle of the night wearing his habbit. Unfortunatly the daughter in law of the lake owner, who's house over looks the lake, witnessed this strange apparition, and was quite disturbed by it all. Nicks a nice bloke, but he is raving bonkers. :)

R

Ron Clay

I'll have you all know that I am an honorary member of The Manchester Carp Group and was one of the early members of the British Carp Study Group.

Seriously I just lost all interest in the species in about 1979.

G

Gary Knowles

I didn't mention carp Andrew - you did ! :eek:)

Seriously Nick gave me some good advice when i did a bit af French carping (but don't tell anyone !)

A

andrew jackson

Dont worry Gary I wouldnt dare tell anyone that *ick smelling (he hates that nick name) had given out any good advice. People would think I was bonkers too. :)
P.s your fibbin you mentioned carp first. :eek:)

G

Gary Knowles

Andrew,

so I did, I'm obsessed with the bloody things !!!!

G

Gary Knowles

Can someone tell Nick that I got his email but I can't reply - something wrong with it it keeps saying "unknown user - permenant fatal errors"...

I'll try again in a day or two.

P

Phil Hackett

The Monk has aked me to post this

Heres a pice to go in the gary leigh bit on middleton angling society

News from the secret caverns of the Shire

Historic Angling Clubs
The oldest club in Britain is probably The Houghton Anglers circa 1822,
believed to be an elite group of 18 members who control a section of the
River Test (not the same 18 anglers that they had in 1822 by the way)

2nd place goes to The Piscatorial Society based in Southampton, of circa 1835

3rd oldest is The Worcester Angling Society of circa 1838

I have no record of the Nottingham Piscatorial Society prior to 1845

The Guinness book of records lists the Eleem Angling Society of Berwick on
Tweed as being the oldest, yet I have not been able to find any records,

I therefore believe The Middleton Angling Society to be the 4th oldest in
Britain

Tis true young Phillip that The Monk is the oldest institution in the Shire

Tight Slappers

The Monk