We’re All Carp Crazy

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Let's have your stories of the big fish (other than carp) that you've caught from recognised carp waters.

C

Carp Angler

Nice article Paul.

With the use of boilies it was just the bream and tench that started to grow, now with the extended usage of particles, the smaller fish are getting a look in.

My best non-carp capture, was a very large tench from a very famous carp water.

I'd baited a sloping gravel margin, beneath some trees, with maples and was periodically checking it for signs of carp when this large tench waddled in and started mopping them up.

I set up a lightish rod with 4 maples on a hair, freelined down the slope and watched the fish pick it up.

Great stuff.

N

Neil Wayte

Having read Pauls article I must admit I agree with him and it made me think back.Many years ago I joined Savay lake on a season ticket which allowed you to fish from 6am untill 9pm.My very first trip I walked down towards Alcatraz and on the shallows I could see fish bow waving through the weed.I couldn't believe it I had only been on the water 5 minutes and I had found the elusive Savay carp.After fishing for an hour I realised that I was fishing for Bream.Last year saw pictures of some big Bream caught from Savay in the Angling press,could these have been the same fish I saw some ten years previous.
This year(sorry last year) I caught bream of 11lb 14oz and 11lb 6oz from carp lakes.I was fishing for them at the time after failing to catch the carp.Another syndicate I belong to produces double figure Tench and on the one occasion I set my stall out for them I had a 8lb 6oz.Down in Surrey a club lake I fish has a reputation as a 20's water but it also contains Crucians to 5lb 6 oz(the record was refused because of no body) Roach to 3lb 1oz and big Rudd.The one and only trip I had for the Perch produced a pb of 3lb so what Paul says is correct let the others fish for the carp and go for the others yourself.

R

Ron Clay

Lots of 'em Graham. I fished intensively on the Linea Fisheries complex at Stanton Harcourt near Oxford in 95, 96, 97 and 98. Caught tench to 83/4 lbs, roach to 2lbs 5 oz, bream to 83/4 lbs, perch to 23/4 lbs, chub to 6lbs 3 oz and rudd to 21/2 lbs. The fishing was marvellous for a few precious years until the water waters became crowded out with carp anglers chucking 3 and 4 oz sinkers to the horizon. Stoney was very upset with some of them, especially when they shaved their heads reflecting the sun and pranced up and down all day with lager cans in their hands, tattoos on their arms and jingling rings in their nostrils, eyebrows and noses?

Seriously, why do some of the poms have to parade arounds looking like pratts. You dont get this in other parts of the worlds stir stir !!

R

Rob Stubbs

Graham,
The only big (well to me anyway) fish from a known carp water is a bream of 9 14 from Horseshoe lake. I have caught some tench and reasonable roach from Withy but never weighed any, roach probably up to 1 1/2 lbs or a bit more. I've seen some of the golden orfe their and they are pretty big.

Other than that another syndicate lake has millions of rudd and some of them go over 2lb and I've caught them to about 1 1/2 (by design as well as accidentally).

Rob.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Some thing me and a mate clicked on to some years ago.With all the interest in Carp we were able to have all the other fishing to our selves.The Carp syndicate water I used to run had a terrific head of large Bream.It was very unusual to catch a fish below 8lbs.The average /top weights varied a lot over the years my best being 11lb 12ozs.Not massive by todays standards but when backed up by a further 47 fish over double figures a remarkable venue. Despite many Carp only anglers watching me catch these fish over the years none were interested. Commercial Carp waters seem to produce good Perch.Once again all to your self.I have heard of similar producing big Roach but have not yet been fortunate enough to fish any.

N

Neil Wayte

Budgie it's a shame the Bream have gone backwards in that carp lake because I had my first double from there.

P

Philip Inzani

I think the Roach record is one of the safest on the list but if I had to stick my neck out I think the record will go from a commercial Carp fishery. Perch potential is off the graph in some of these waters...I've been fishing a lake where they have had Perch to 4.14 (accuratly weighed as well!) with rumours of fish over 5. Massive Bream, Tench, Eels, Rudd....when you think about it its mouthwatering.

R

Ron Clay

I've just heard today of a 3lb 12 oz perch from a small commercial hole in the ground near here. I think you may have a point here Philip

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

This buisness of big Perch from commercial carp waters is spot on.Take a look at Steve Burke's article on Anglers Net.I often disagree with Steve on predator issues but IMHO he has got this one totally nailed.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is why do these waters chuck up big fish?Is it because they are left alone or is it the extra food(boillies?) going in?

N

Neil Wayte

Budgie I think it's bit of both.Most people pay to fish for the carp and can't see past the end of their noses.Nearly ahd a punch up with a guy at Larkfield years ago because he dragged a 9lb Bream up the bank rather than use his net on I quote "a bloody snotty"

C

Carp Angler

Tell me about it Neil.
I've had to remonstrate with several 'carp anglers' about their disregard for 'nuisance' species.

When I'm carping, if I catch a different species on my carp gear, it's treated with the usual, upmost respect that I extend to all fish.
My only quirk being that if I catch a different species when carping then I don't count it, or weigh it.
I tend to class them as flukey captures, but if it's a tremendous specimen, then I generally return with more appropriate tackle and try to catch them that way.

N

Neil Wayte

I think we are of the old school mate.Not every thing that swims is a carp.I hope that wasn't a dig at my chub cos it was caught on cheese paste and I ain't used that for carp for years.Now there's a thought

C

Carp Angler

No dig there at all.
You told me you were going chubbing.
Excellent fish....
you're still a spawney git though :)

All 'other' fish caught when carping, by myself and others are logged away in the old grey matter for that rainy day......

As for cheese paste....
Chunky soft cheese triangles are a stalking bait to rival worms.
But keep it between us ;)

A

Andrew Miller

Carp
If you catch a p.b. accidently, does that mean you won't count it as your best ever fish! I feel that any big fish even if it was accidently caught is still summus to be pleased with. (Maybe it because I not caught that many!)
Windy