Baits to take to a new water?

R

Robert Draper

What baits would you recommend to take to a new water. I have fished the same few places since I was young and only recently have I wanted to branch out. I know which flavours of boilies and meat catch "at home" but I'm at a loss as to what might be a sensible mix to take to a new water (I can't get there to do a recce so I'll be starting cold). Cereals and nuts are banned otherwise I would just take corn and some spray flavours and experiment.

Any ideas as to must have shelf-lifes etc.

S

Stuart Bullard

Activ-8's, chick peas and cockles. I never go without my cockles, they work so well for tench, carp and chub.

R

Robert Draper

Thanks guys, I can't use chick-peas or corn which is why I was panicking =:0

However Active-8s, Tutti-fruttis, lobs and cockles sound like worth a try. I've got so used to using whisky and monster crab that you get stuck in a "if I try something different I might end up blanking" rut. Whereas my usual baits will find me at least one fish whether carp, bream, tench or big perch.

D

Dave Slater

I have always done well on Richworth frozen ready mades, particularly the fruity flavours. I have also had some good results on Assasin-8. I have been doing very well with bread and lobworms for a variety of species lately. Bacon Grill has always been a good bait for me, as has cheese. Also try flavouring meat with various spices. Garlic chip is a good one. Plumrose garlic sausage is also good if you can get it. Cockles can be good, though they tend to blow out quickly. If small fish are not too much of a problem maggots can be very effective.

J

jim barnes

looking for a reciepe for a meat paste eg sausage meat ,do you cook the meat or mix it raw , any altrenative meat bases??

S

stu black

try mixing pate with cornflour to stiffen it up a bit. it makes a fantastic smelly meat paste bait. it always works on one of my local lakes when everyone else is blanking on luncheon meat. also works for barbel on the rivers

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Also take a look at the 5hr liver paste
(think its nutrabaits) it's magic stuff