Not So Dry Waterproof Suits

P

Phil Heaton

In December 2000 I bought an E.S.P. Drenchwear waterproof suit, which was dry and warm. After the winter and more than a few pike sessions on the local drains, it got smelly and muddy, but still was as dry as I expected.
I then washed it as the sewn in instructions advised....it was no longer as waterproof. I even sprayed it with a proprietry waterproofing spray from the army stores, this seemed to improve the situation , but only for a short while.
It has had to be washed again as it was in danger of becoming a new life form, again its proofing has reduced. The best advice from my local tackle shop, who incidentally sells the same suit is never to wash it.
Can anyone tell me of a satifactory proofing agent that is suitable for breathable fabrics.

S

Stuart Johnson

Is the ESP Gortex? If it is I have been told by those nice people at Transworld the best way to clean a soiled Gortex garment is to put it in a washing machine on a cold wash,as this will clean and improve the breavability and improve the waterproof element. Don't know if it works as i have not tried it yet.

E

EC

Or better still send it back Phil. Regarding Goretex I have a goretex jacket and the instructions say to iron it after washing, which I duly did and it does (as per instructions) stay as waterproof as before. Those instructions were not sown in though, but on the instruction card that came with the coat. Its 7 years old and still tops, I often wonder if the 'goretex' as used in some fishing garments is the same quality. Having said that mine has never been used for fishing save when I went to Ireland once, and then I wore an over all over it.

P

Phil Heaton

I am not sure if the suit is Goretex or not, as for washing only a mild soap based wash was used with no conditioner added in the rinse, just as per instructions.
The coat looks in very good condition, there is no tears, rips or fraying edges, the only problem is that now it is barely showerproof.

S

Sean Meeghan

Phil

The suit isn't Goretex its one of the newer coated fabrics. Are you sure that you're not getting condensation rather than leaks?

For a fabric to remain breathable water mustn't wet the surface ie it must 'bead'. The p[roblem with fishing clothing is that it gets filthy and this takes the coating off the surface of the fabric when you wash it. Its then like wearing a plastic bag when it rains.

The solution is to wash the suit quite often and about once a year use a proofer which you can buy from an outdoor shop.

Hope this helps.

P

Paul Christie

Isn't there a product now that you can put in the washing machine that re-proof's it at the same time it's being washed?
I'm sure a friend of mine was telling me about it!

R

Ron Clay

I have had an ESP suit for 3 years and have washed it once. After washing as per instructions, it started to leak. In time the build up of stale sweat, blood and fish slime, started to make it waterproof again.

It's not Goretex (expanded hydrophobic PTFE) but polyester. Funny stuff polyester. If is comes into contact with certain surfactants as are found in washing up materials is becomes hydrophyllic and will admit water like a sponge.

The moral is, don't wash these garments.

We are anglers, Why not look the part?

P

Phil Heaton

Sean,
Im sure its not condensation, because I only get damp around the back, shoulders and arms when it rains. The proofing agent I have been using costs ?5.50 per can, one for the jacket and one for the overtrousers. The reproofing agent for Gortex costs around ?12 and is applied in a washing machine and cured in a tumble dryer for 1 hour.
My original question was does anyone know of a waterproofing agent that really works on ESP / Drennan Drenchwear?
Ron, if I thought your suggestion would really work, then I would try it.....did you get that tip off Gord Burton.

S

Sean Meeghan

Phil

If its leaking that means the coating (its on the inside surface) has broken down. Even with the silicone proofers that you can buy for Goretex the weave of the fabric isn't tight enough to make the jacket any better than showerproof. From what Ron says it looks like a common problem. It might be worth talking to ESP - they might have had a bad batch of fabric.

C

Colyn Nelson

try contacting field and trek they seem to have a spray for every type of outdoor garment bivibag and tent

K

Kevan Farmer

If you can get to a Barretts of Feckenham store try them. Tell them exactly what the suit is made of and what you want to do. There are numerous waterproofing agents now on the market and not all are suitable for clothing.

good luck

Kevan

E

EC

And when all that advice goes t*ts up, buy a pair of bright yellow oil skins, or ask Carp Angler about his favourite 'real tree' rubber wear!

K

Kevan Farmer

Eddie. You can get magazines about that you know...with CA in the centrefold and Wendy doing a special two page job ;-)))))

Kevan

A

Andrew Thomas

Can't remember the exact brand name but good hiking/outdoors shops (eg Blacks) stock a reproofing agent and washing liquid for breathable fabrics such as goretex. They come in small plastic bottles.

Whatever you do don't wash these materials in conventional products and most definitely don't use fabric conditioner.

My golf goretex waterproofs are still watertight after many years use thanks to regular use of these products. I run the washing machine on an empty hot cycle to remove any vestige of normal washing powder/conditioner before I wash any waterproofs. The reproofer will restore the "beading" properties of the fabric.

Incidentally goretex fabrics usually recommend drying by low temperature tumble drying.

L

Luke Hodson

I buy hiking gear at half the cost of branded fishing gear and wash it in reproofing agent at ?4.50 a time. One jacket, three years use, 9 washes, no leaks.

T

The Monk

I've spent a fortune on waterproof suites, but get wet from the inside, maybe I'm just a fat sweaty bathtub? Give me my smelly old Barbour anyday!