shimano reels

J

Jim Hinchley

I could really use an informed answer to what appears to be a simple question.
I currently use a pair of shimano aero gtm 4000 for all my fishing.
I am thinking about getting a pair of shimano baitrunners ( new or secondhand) and would like to have 4 reels with interchangeable spools.
Does anyone know which model number of baitrunner i need to get that will have the correct spool size ?
Thanks if you can help.

R

Richard Drayson

Jim,
According to my Shimano catalogue, your Aero Gtm 4000 reels have a line capacity of 110m of 3lb mono.
The smallest capacity spool of any of the Baitrunner reels has a capacity of 230m of 10lb mono (Baitrunner Aero 4010).
Without actually knowing the physical sizes of each spool, it is difficult to tell if they'd be interchangeable but going solely on the line capacity difference, it seems unlikely.

S

Stuart Bullard

I think Richard is correct. I have a number of different Shimano models, including 4000 and bait runners, and the spools do not interchange. Personally I would make sure you get the correct baitrunner for the fishing you want to do.

S

Sean Meeghan

Jim

I've checked with my mate Matthew at Westgate Anglers (01274 729570) and he says that the 6000 and 8000 models have spools which interchange with the GTM 4000. He says he can do you some at a good price!

B

Birds Nest

Agree with Stu, I'd be more concerned with making sure the reels balance the rods, that if the spools are interchangable...

R

Richard Drayson

In view of the different answers Jim, you'd be better off phoning Shimano direct on 01792 796584.
Let us know what they say.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
It's all clever marketing me finks. I've just bought a single baitrunner 10,000 with the bigger spools and casting ability. I already have 3 baitrunners 8000 and as sure as onions are onions, I would bet money that the spools for these won't be compatable. If they were then I would have bought the spools for the 10,000's and put them on my 8,000's and that wouldn't be right for Shimano's pocket, would it?

Still love the reels though, so a good choice Jim!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Oi Stu? you gonna send me that cheque for Second Chance or have you sent it direct?

C

Chris Bishop

This is part of the reason some of us hark back to the Mitchell days.

Once you had 300s, you could use the spools on a 410, 810 or even the original Matches.

D

David Will

Is not the easiest solution to take everything into a tackle shop and see what fits ?

A

andrew jackson

Stuart, are you sure those spools arnt interchangable?? It would have cost them a lot more than a fancy paint job and a slightly bigger spool otherwise. ;o)
Try them and report back what you find, I am sure it will be interesting.

G

Gary Knowles

I've got 3 of the the old 5010's, and a couple of small feeder reels (perfection I think they are called) I've also got a small fighting drag model. This leaves me with around 10 spools - they all interchange !......the fit may not be perfect but I've not had a single problem with them.

E

EC

Different models, but my aero GTM 4010 spools fit the supermatch RE reel, and a shimano aero match reel also!

North West angling centre in Wigan have a variety of spools on display sold as separates.

S

Stuart Bullard

Gary, I can make a couple work. For instance the new 5000 model does fit my 4000. But they do not fit in perfectly. As you say, they work, but it just didn't feel that it set in 100%. I just think the original question was based buying a bait runner based on what spools could also be used, instead of buying the right one for the fishing required. I made that mistake by buying the 8010's where as I really only required the 5010's. As a result I could not use the 8010's for my river fishing at night, for example, because they were far to big for the rods I used.........if you can follow that one!

Stuart - shit, forgot. Just back from holidays and in the dogs mire at work. Sorry, will get it sent.

K

Kevan Farmer

Pretty obviously 5000 spools fit 5010 Baitrunners. I made sure though by taking the reels into my local tackle shop - where I bought the reels originally. They sorted me out no problem as any tackle dealer worth his salt should do.

Kevan

David Preston

Reaction score
The current 5000RE & GTE baitrunners will take spools from any of the Aero reels (ie above the Sahara in the range) from both 4000 and 3000 size. Thus you can have a Baitrunner Match if you fit a 3000M shallow spool!

The only difference between 6000 and 8000 BTR spools is depth.