Rigs for Silt?

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Controlled Free-lining I think it’s called? I fancied tackling a few heavily silted margin swims this summer using leadcore and hook link only for tench and leviathan crucian carp, does it work, if so how well? This avenue of angling isn’t really my forte so any advice in general much appreciated. Or any other bolt style methods for fishing over deep and rich silt.

I had envisaged the following;

Avon rod & centrepin, reels check and bobbin as bite indication.

Short Fluorocarbon hook link, Owner size 12, 50188” ISEAMA

1m of leadcore, if so which one?

Hair rigged fake corn or 10mm boilie as bait

All slung out over a small bed of putrid and fermenting hemp & sweetcorn. :w

Last edited:

maver man

Reaction score
The rig i would use would be a leadcore helicopter rig but with the hooklength set at around 8-12inches from the lead, a 1-oz lead to minimize disturbance and to lessen the risk of the lead sinking too deep into the bottom, 5-inch hooklength; shorter as apposed to longer hooklink because if you use a 12 inch hooklength i feel that the fish would suck the hook into the mouth which would lead to risk of hindering the hooking capability as there is more distance from the hook to lead which equals less resistance (thats how i see it anyway) + i find when fish are feeding over particles they are feeding tighter to the bottom so then a shorter hooklink would be more beneficial but when using boilies i find they are moving to and from baits more so will you a longer hooklink, this is how i feel about these situations.
Hope this helps.

Adam.

ryboyd

Reaction score
Thinking of using the chod rig 3" stiff hook rigs with 10mm boilies and bread crust this summer for the tincas.