Evolution/Shelter

S

Stuart Johnson

I am considering buying a shelter of some sort and unsure what to get. I would like it to be as light as possible. I have been unable to see them to compare as my local dealers do not hold stocks. The ones I am considering are
Fox Evolution Classic
Fox Stalker Shelter
Nash stalker Shelter

or should i go for the Evolution Compact Brolley.

Anyone got any reccomendations.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
The evolution Brolly system is simply superb matey. I too looked at a few and for ease, quality, sturdiness and unbeatable time in which to put them up, you simply can't beat them. Slips nicely and compact into your brolly pouch too. I tend to use the bivvy for ong sessions, but this piece of kit is perfect forn one dayer or one nighter sessions.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

I have had my compact brolly for a few months and they are excellent, very easy to put up/down, very stable and they dont leak, which is a bonus!

The only problem I had with mine was one of the bolts that hold the quick lock joints together fell out and I lost it, but Fox quickly sent me some spares!

Excellent!

S

Stuart Johnson

confirms my thoughts evolution compact brolley seems the best bet. One further question, is there enough room for a bed chair?

S

Steve Plant

Stu, which is the Evolution Compact Brolly? There's that many versions I'm never sure which one is which.

The Evolution Classic brolly is brilliant. It's the cheaper one and doesn't give as many options for turning it into a full bivvy, but it is superb for overnighters in spring/summer/autumn, plenty big enough to get gear and bedchair under (with nothing poking out to get wet). Great also for winter day sessions, like piking or roach fishing on lakes. Not as suitable for sloping banks so I leave it at home for river sessions.
I've had mine for over 3 years now, absolutely no problems with it, only thing I've done is spray with Fabsil about 5months ago when one of the seams started dripping through.
Highly recommended!

Steve.

S

Stuart Johnson

As far as I can tell the Evolution Compact brolley has a rrp of ?199.99 and you can turn in to a bivvy if you buy the overap. The evolution clasic has a rrp of ?109.99 abd can not be torned in to a bivvy. Plus the Compact has aero grade blocks and ribs so it lighter, easier to put up and folds to half the size evolutIon plus. So now I'm more confused.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

I have got a JRC Cocoon 3 bedchair and although it is a bit tight it does go in! (ooerr)

P

paul gallagher

Stu..the fox stalker bivvy is excellent..and my 3 leg cocoon fits too!...highly recommended bit of kit!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Oi Oi Stu-pot, again depends on what you want mate, mine is the one for ?109, I can buy extra sides and a groundsheet (but at a cost). As I stated earlier, I use mine for short session and do use with the bedchairmate, well comfortable and big enough, however, If you're looking for longer sessions, you might want a bivvy mate!

P

Paul Williams

A "Bivvy mate"......wonder what kind of shop Stu would get one of those from????? ;)

S

Stuart Johnson

Its not a bivvy I'm after but a shelter thats easy to put up and put away, also it needs to be as light as possible. There is so many in the range and its a bit confussing. I only mentioned the compact evolution coz the blubs says it light and packs down half the size as the normal one. So it looks as though the Evolution Ckassic at ?109.99 is the one most people are recomending or I have I got this wrong.

Confussed northern git.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Nope, definitely the evolution mate.

and....you might want to start calling me bullet, Paul - I've just got your post!!