Hook-pulls

• Thread starter Stephen Matthews
  • Start date
S

Stephen Matthews

Club Water (North House) that I have started fishing this season. Result so far 2 visits, 4 runs, 4 hook pulls. The rig is a simple hair knotless knot style, 1/2 inch gap to the bend.
Simple answer for the hook pulls would be the hook or the rig. I could accept that if I hadn't fished another club (more pressurised) water (Beckerings) with the same rigs, no hook pulls and plenty of fish landed.

This seems to suggest the fish feed in a different way.

So whats the answer, - lengthen or shorten the hair, have the bait tight to the hook, use a blow back rig or a D rig.

Or is it just trial & error.

Thanks

A

Andrew Webber

I think I would have the bait closer to the hook. Theres no reason why you can't try both at the same time on different rods.

P

Pat Farr

My first instinct would be to adjust the dimensions of your rig, trying different lengths of hooklink and hair on different rods. If you use shrink tube on the shank to keep the hair inline, try different variations with that as well. Is your hook turning effectively (line aligner?)? If so, do you need a heavier lead? Or perhaps try a different lead arrangement... (move to running for better takes?)? Keep tweaking your setup until you find one that holds... If all fails, it may be time to adjust your hook pattern and bait presentation for that particular water... good luck!

C

Carp Angler

There are a couple of possible reasons for this.
Firstly, if the lake is very silty, then the fish may have very soft mouths and you may be pulling the hook out.
A longer hooklength, so you hook them further back in the mouth may help and certainly avoid hooks with out turned eyes (all stiff rig hooks)
The second option is that they could be feeding predominantly on small naturals and if you have a short hooklength, then the hook may only just be knicking into the lip.

Can you give us some more clues about the differences in the lakes?
e.g. gravel, weed, silt, naturals, depth, size of fish etc etc

S

Stephen Matthews

Thanks for the suggestions. In response to "Carp Angler" for further details.

North House was an old gravel working that was turned into a lake when the contractor ran out of tipping material, about 3 acres in size. Fish mainly the margins using PVA bags as the bottom is covered with thin layer of blanket weed.

Beckerings is 5 acres - Farm irrigation resevoir. There are 2 ledges and I usually fish one of the ledges depending on the amount of water in there as it does fluctuate. Most fish caught in the margins - hard bottom with a thin covering of silt and patches of weed.

Hook pulls have come on 3 different patterns of hook - either straight or inturned eyes. Hook links usually 15 ins.
2 Fish lost were singles, one just after picking up the bait the other as I was pulling the fish towards the net, The other two were certainly doubles and one was possibly a twenty. Both fish took line off the clutch on a number of occasions before the hooks pulled.

C

Chris Betts

You say you are fishing PVA bags with a 15inch hook lengths. I would try shortening the hook length to about 6-8 inches. Depending on whats in the bags. If its pellets/particles over a bed of the same then a short hook length should work. I also fish silty waters and have found that a longer hair can also help if you are boilie fishing. I use a 35mm hair on a size 8 medium shank hook or 40mm on a size 6. measured from the hook. With a line aligner and a silicon sleeve over the hair and shank positioned oposite the point of the hook. My hook holds in the same sort of situations have always been in the centre of the bottom lip.

Sounds like the hook hold is giving way under direct pressure, try the above. Also try a minimum of 2oz lead and slack lines, this may also help.

M

Malcolm Bason

I had a similar experience today - 7 runs = one fish?? There was nothing different about the set up I used from previous sessions at other waters!

I changed from a short hair after the first two pulls, to a longer one - with the same result.

The venue is one that was designed for matches - and I'm sorry to say that the carp that were caught (i had another on the float, with meat on the hook itself) (and a mate had 3) all had deformed mouths!

Coincidentally or not as the case may be - the one I did land on the leger using a longer hair had a better less damaged mouth! So could it me - in my case at least - that the mouth/lip deformities had something to do with it?

N

Neil Glenister

I've recently had the same problems with hook pulls, the solution I found that worked best was to tighten the baitrunner so only a very violent take will allow line to be taken. Word of caution, single bank sticks essential and rod locks or other tightly gripping back rests. Since changing to this tactic I am no longer losing fish through hook pulls, and i'm finding perfect hook holds every time.