'The Water Column'

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between 'water column' and 'water' when used in the context such as this one (which is the usual context):

"If they're not bang on the feed they often won't move to take a bait and this includes moving up in the water column."

(No offence to the writer who did write the above by the way, but it did serve to remind me that it was something I wanted to ask.)

Is there a difference I'm missing between the sentence in quotations above and this sentence:

"If they're not bang on the feed they often won't move to take a bait and this includes moving up in the water."

'Water column' has become a well-worn phrase in recent years and it always leaves me wondering if the writer knows exactly what it means or if he's just using the latest 'in' fishing lingo.

I confess that I don't know what 'water column' means in the context in which it's usually used in fishing. A 'column of water', as defined by 'The Merriam Webster Dictionary' is:

"Something resembling a column in form, position, or function <a column of water>"

But I still don't get it.

Is it me?

preston96

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between 'water column' and 'water' when used in the context such as this one (which is the usual context):

"If they're not bang on the feed they often won't move to take a bait and this includes moving up in the water column."

(No offence to the writer who did write the above by the way, but it did serve to remind me that it was something I wanted to ask.)

Is there a difference I'm missing between the sentence in quotations above and this sentence:

"If they're not bang on the feed they often won't move to take a bait and this includes moving up in the water."

'Water column' has become a well-worn phrase in recent years and it always leaves me wondering if the writer knows exactly what it means or if he's just using the latest 'in' fishing lingo.

I confess that I don't know what 'water column' means in the context in which it's usually used in fishing. A 'column of water', as defined by 'The Merriam Webster Dictionary' is:

"Something resembling a column in form, position, or function <a column of water>"

Is it me?

Hmmmm......perhaps it refers to the area of feed? eg the straight down column the feed falls through on still waters or the desending line moving downstream on rivers?

Eg the feed causes the column in water?

or it could just be bollo.............round hairy things :wh:D;)

Bluenose

Reaction score
My understanding is/was that a water column is an almost hypothetical vertical cross section of water usually used to highlight the different layers and variables that can exist and differ within and between each layer. I may be wrong but this is more appropriately used in a scientific context as opposed to an angling one.

However, I suppose like all things water science related we can always bring elements of science speak into fishing, thermoclines for instance.

When I go fishing though, the fish move up in the water.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Hi Graham, I think the term Water Column is miss leading. Perhaps water layers might be a better phraise. Layer referring to the temp of the water at a particular level and even dissolved oxygen.
To me a water column is either a water spout, usualy out at sea or a water fall. No doubt somone will come up with all the technical stuff to do with thermo whatever etc.

dezza

Reaction score
The term: "Water Column" is applied to water height as might be in a verticle pipe. It is also spoken of in terms of the pressure of water at different heights or depths.

For example 10 m water column (we sometimes use the term water gauge or wg) = 1 bar g pressure.

If angling writers are using this term with regard to fish moving from deep to shallow water, I'm afraid that they are taking through their ring pieces! What is needed is a strongly worded letter to the magazine editor. The problem is that most editors of fishing magazines will not be able to understand what you are talking about due to the fact that they are not very erudite and have had a poor education.

Last edited:

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
After a bit of 'googling' I found this :

water column : a traditional unit of pressure, used in plumbing to describe both water and gas pressures. The conventional equivalent of one inch of water is 249.0889 pascals, which is 2.490 889 millibars, about 0.036 127 pounds per square inch (psi) or about 0.073 556 inches (1.868 32 millimeters) of mercury.

So I suppose it really doesn't have any place in fishing ............

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Well as the person who wrote the bit Graham quoted I suppose it's up to me to explain what I meant!

You're right Graham, water column and water are interchangeable in this context. My only excuse for using it is that it is a commonly used phrase and it just slipped out! My understanding of the correct use (as Ron says) is that it is used when describing changes (pressure, temperature, light levels) with respect to depth. As to whether I was talking through my nether regions or not I'll leave to the judgement of others!:)

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

Oh and Ron is wrong on the depth/pressure figure: the correct one is 10 metres of depth gives a pressure of 1 BarG.:p

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Sean is not alone here. I'm sure that I have used the term ''Water Column'' in relation to fishing lures. Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to use the description, top, bottom or mid-water. :confused:

preston96

Reaction score
I will be making plenty of water columns later............it's an over 50 and cold cheap poor mans lager thing! :wh

dezza

Reaction score
It's surprising how all of us can make mistakes, especially when we are talking/writing about such a wide subject as catching fish with rod and line. Even **** Walker got it wrong a few times:

Waggler floats, the thermocline, float bouyancy and how having resistance on the line can actually help you hook fish ie: the bolt rig effect.

Mind you I doubt if your average magazine fishing editor would know what a thermocline is.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It's surprising how all of us can make mistakes,
Join the gang, Sean. It's usually me and Archimedes - or just me. :(

What is interesting is how the pressure of water increases as you go deeper.
Bound to, it's got the weight of all the water on top of it compressing it. Isn't it? Or has Archimedes got an answer for that too?

We'll have to wait for the Prof!

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Waggler floats, ....... float bouyancy
Don't start that one again Ron, please!!! :) ;) :eek:

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Mind you I doubt if your average magazine fishing editor would know what a thermocline is.
Your FM editor/s do. :wh :D :p

A

alan whittington

Im glad Sean got in first Graham as i was going to suggest asking the writer directly(or was it a slightly cynical side swipe-only joking).;)

The bad one

Reaction score

Is it me?

It's a standard used term in aquatic science, as some have pointed out. It means moving vertically through the body of water. It's a posh way of describing it. Nothing more nothing less!

E.g. "Some invertebrates migrate upwards through the water column during the hours of darkness."

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Well as the person who wrote the bit Graham quoted I suppose it's up to me to explain what I meant! You're right Graham, water column and water are interchangeable in this context. My only excuse for using it is that it is a commonly used phrase and it just slipped out! As to whether I was talking through my nether regions or not I'll leave to the judgement of others!

Sean, no offence meant honestly, it's just that every other fishing article that mentions things that go up and down in the water is described as going up and down the water column, just as though there is an invisible tube/column of water quite separate from its surroundings. I do understand it from the scientific angle but couldn't fathom where it was a better description in the fishing context than the more easily understood up and down in the water rather than up and down in the water column.

I wasn't trying to be clever asking the question; it really was a genuine question as I wondered if I was missing something obvious. Apparently I wasn't. Oh, and you weren't talking through your nether regions Sean. I was just wondering if I was.:)

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

It's a standard used term in aquatic science, as some have pointed out. It means moving vertically through the body of water. It's a posh way of describing it. Nothing more nothing less! E.g. "Some invertebrates migrate upwards through the water column during the hours of darkness."

So, in the fishing context, 'up and down in the water', is an adequate and more easily understood description. At least by us non-scientific mere mortals of course.:wh